ATI driver help.

Hi all,

I have never updated the drivers on my ATI card from when I bought my laptop in the summer of 09. I now would like to uninstall the old drivers and then install new ones so could someone tell me how to do this? Kinda like a beginners guide Big Grin

However, will this affect any hotkeys I have which have all my video settings which affect the games gamma?

Cheers
philip.ed Big Grin

philip, what ATi card does your laptop use? If you're using an HD4xxx series, don't use anything newer than Catalyst 9.10 - newer drivers are designed for the 5xxx series card and severely degrade the performance of the older models. Plus they produce horrible graphics artifacts in Il-2.

A guide - download Catalyst 9.10 (recommended) for your Windows OS from ATI's site to a clean folder on your HDD, then either:

1. Find a driver cleaner program - best results for clean install, but I can't recommend anything, esp. for a newbie

2. Go to (under Windows XP) Start Menu -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Clean-Up and select the drive on which the OS is installed (C: by default). Depending on your driver version you should have either "Ati Uninstall Utility" or just "Ati Catalyst Control Center" - select "remove", uninstall. Check to see if default video driver has been removed too.

Restart PC, open the folder where the new driver is, start install and proceed - whether custom or quick install is up to you - once finished, restart again. And you're done.

If everything has gone properly, the CCC should remember your profiles and settings. I don't know about hotkeys, but I assume those should be saved too.

Hope this helps. Smile

Cheers for that. My laptop has a 4650 512mb. I'll have a look at the relevent folders and see what's there. I have Vista, and so this may be slightly different to XP?

Thanks for the info. When I get time, I'll report back and see what I can do. Otherwise, if anyone else has anything to chip in...I'm all eyes Big Grin

Cheers m8 Big Grin

Hi, philip.ed

Yes, the newer ATI stuff doesn't work. There is a link to these issues with the exact solution at the target webpage. The link can also be found at my tech help topic in the PC Tech Help Forum Sticky, but I will give it to you here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 088038/p/3

philip.ed, be sure to especially follow the conversation about the 10.1 Hotfix drivers, however there appears to be two approaches, so you'll have to make a decision which you use.

I am sure that you will be amused by the focus on me briefly as the " nVidia fanboy ". :lol:

Thankyou fireskull.

I am going to go the route of the older drivers and stick to the 9.xx series as these seem to be the best for Il-2. When time is kind, I will look into doing this on my laptop and see what happens. Fingers crosse Wink

Hi
If your motherboard supports it, you can try the Catalyst 8.12, are the best for me (HD2900XT)

socorrista22198 Wrote:Hi
If your motherboard supports it, you can try the Catalyst 8.12, are the best for me (HD2900XT)

Hmm, I'm using a 4650 and apparently for the 4XXX series, the 9.xx ones are the best Wink

OK, ignore double post and see this one. I have installed 9.10. Now, I need a good (free) driver cleaner to use. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks for all the help so far guys Wink

philip.ed Wrote:OK, ignore double post and see this one. I have installed 9.10. Now, I need a good (free) driver cleaner to use. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks for all the help so far guys Wink

Driver Sweeper.

Link Here: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

I suggest not running the installer, but use the binaries that can be extracted by winrar(7zip), etc.

When you clean the drivers, make sure you boot in the safe mode, then clear every trace, reboot into normal mode, install the new drivers, and you are set.

GeneralPsycho Wrote:
philip.ed Wrote:OK, ignore double post and see this one. I have installed 9.10. Now, I need a good (free) driver cleaner to use. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks for all the help so far guys Wink

Driver Sweeper.

Link Here: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

I suggest not running the installer, but use the binaries that can be extracted by winrar(7zip), etc.

When you clean the drivers, make sure you boot in the safe mode, then clear every trace, reboot into normal mode, install the new drivers, and you are set.

How do I boot in safe-mode in the first place?

Hi,

While your screen is still in the options mode while booting-the black screen with basic commands-you push f8 repeatedly until the mode options screen appears. Well, this is how it is done in Vista, my OS. Select safe mode.

Fireskull Wrote:Hi,

While your screen is still in the options mode while booting-the black screen with basic commands-you push f8 repeatedly until the mode options screen appears. Well, this is how it is done in Vista, my OS. Select safe mode.

Many thanks Wink

Oh, and what is better about the binaries compared to the installer?

P.S.

You'll know that you are in the black screened options page while booting when you see things such as " Run Bios ", " Run such-and-such check ", etc. Keep pushing f8 until you get to the next black screen which is the mode options, then choose safe mode by directing with arrows and push enter.

philip.ed Wrote:
Fireskull Wrote:Hi,

Many thanks Wink

Oh, and what is better about the binaries compared to the installer?

Binaries is better for me because if you runt he installer, it will make an installation in your computer, also uses registry. When you uninstall that program, as most programs leave some crap behind.