external 50 caliber (live fire)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiYDP74HIEs&NR=1

thought it would be of interest to sound modders.

Bill

Interesting, but blanks sound like blanks and I don't think the mic in use there has the necessary range to capture even that accurately.

Was nice to watch. I'm a bit tired. When I saw the title I thought they will be firing some real rounds instead of blanks.

I'm sure it sounds much different being there, but having a live recording like this is rare even if they are blanks.

I was not aware blanks sounded different but perhaps a trained ear picks up on that sort of thing.

Bill

BillSwagger Wrote:I'm sure it sounds much different being there, but having a live recording like this is rare even if they are blanks.

I was not aware blanks sounded different but perhaps a trained ear picks up on that sort of thing.

Bill

A significant part of the sound of a gun firing is the bullet exiting the muzzle at supersonic speed. Firing blanks can have number of effects on the sound of firearm, including significant changes in rate of fire in the case of automatics.

akdavis Wrote:
BillSwagger Wrote:I'm sure it sounds much different being there, but having a live recording like this is rare even if they are blanks.

A significant part of the sound of a gun firing is the bullet exiting the muzzle at supersonic speed. Firing blanks can have number of effects on the sound of firearm, including significant changes in rate of fire in the case of automatics.

Compare the sound of the guns in your video to the sound of a 0.50 BMG shooting live ammo. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEhd5M9uHho

The live ammo produces a slightly deeper sound.

Sound is something hard to copy, it depends on the distance and ambient, it always sounds a little different depending on many factors, and with the current engine we don't seem to have any sort of way to copy all these factors except for the doppler effect, games are getting closer to it though, have you heard the sounds of Bad Company 2? Let's just hope Storm of War carries a similar sound engine.

Murilo Specht Wrote:Sound is something hard to copy, it depends on the distance and ambient, it always sounds a little different depending on many factors, and with the current engine we don't seem to have any sort of way to copy all these factors except for the doppler effect, games are getting closer to it though, have you heard the sounds of Bad Company 2? Let's just hope Storm of War carries a similar sound engine.

I agree. I can remember looking at video's of browning .303's firing and each video recorded the sounds differently Wink

Its not like i haven't had my go at this.

viewtopic.php?t=21607&highlight=cal+sound+mod

Big Grin

pursuivant Wrote:
akdavis Wrote:

Compare the sound of the guns in your video to the sound of a 0.50 BMG shooting live ammo. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEhd5M9uHho

The live ammo produces a slightly deeper sound.

Err...as with most film from this time, the sounds are dubbed in and probably manufactured in a studio.

Except he's still right. What you hear are the muzzle blast as the hot gases leave the confines of the barrel and the supersonic crack of the round. Now, I have a Lee-Enfield rifle and it doesn't crack when I shoot it, it booms. I'd imagine that the .50, being a much larger and more powerful round, would boom even more.

Plenty of video of .50 cal live fire out there. Look up a quad .50 cal firing, then imagine the rate of fire doubled for a rough idea of what 6 AN/M2s might sound like. Smile

We can split hairs over how it should sound, i just thought it was neat to hear. You can hear the rate of fire of all six guns crackling.

What i've picked up in my first clip sounds like a hollow tube sound compared to other clips i've examined.

Here's a similar pass. Much of it is muffled by the doppler effect and damping buts a bit clearer recording as the position of the camera appears more toward the front of the plane while it fires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiChPhNGYJ8

Bill

Gents,

Having fired the real thing, that video is nice for the timing of the firing sequence, but is in NO WAY what it actually sounds like.
I'll post up a track I made from one of my units live fire exercises and let you guys have at it.

Perhaps someone can finally make a really good .50 cal sound for IL-2 with what I've got.

S!

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]