Vintage Aircraft Design & Structure

Hey all,
I'm a Mechanical Engineer with an addiction to aviation. Does anyone know where I can find any infromation on Vintage Aircraft Designs & Structures? More specifically, I'm looking for information/details on wooden designs. And to take it a bit further, I'm particularly interested in wing structures of wooden aircraft from around 1918 - 1940. Some of the questions I'm trying to figure out on these Vintage Wooden Wing-structures are:

- The layout/construction of the Wing
- The layout/construction of the Wing Ribs
- How the Ribs were attached to the Spar(s)***(this is my #1 question)
- How were the stringers attached to the Wing & when did they start using them
- How the fabric was attached to the wing
- The materials used in the Ribs, Spars, Stringers & Fabric
- How the Wings were attached to the Fuselage
- The linkages and mechanisms connecting the Ailerons, Elevators & Rudders to the Control-Stick (basically how the flight control system worked & the mechanisms involved)

I Know that their were many differnt designs and layouts, especially between 1918 -1940, so anything you can provide/recommend will be much appriciated. The more detailed, the better!
Thanks,

CS

All I can say is you should build a Go-229 Glider.

While it may not answer all your questions they are good starting points and reference material.It's also free to download!!Google AC 43.13 and AC 65.15a.

I suggest you go here

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/replica-aircraft/

In particular the Replica aircraft section, but other areas of the site aswell.

another good source. http://www.ohtm.org/

csteimel47591 Wrote:Hey all,
I'm a Mechanical Engineer with an addiction to aviation. Does anyone know where I can find any infromation on Vintage Aircraft Designs & Structures? More specifically, I'm looking for information/details on wooden designs. And to take it a bit further, I'm particularly interested in wing structures of wooden aircraft from around 1918 - 1940. Some of the questions I'm trying to figure out on these Vintage Wooden Wing-structures are:

- The layout/construction of the Wing
- The layout/construction of the Wing Ribs
- How the Ribs were attached to the Spar(s)***(this is my #1 question)
- How were the stringers attached to the Wing & when did they start using them
- How the fabric was attached to the wing
- The materials used in the Ribs, Spars, Stringers & Fabric
- How the Wings were attached to the Fuselage
- The linkages and mechanisms connecting the Ailerons, Elevators & Rudders to the Control-Stick (basically how the flight control system worked & the mechanisms involved)

I Know that their were many differnt designs and layouts, especially between 1918 -1940, so anything you can provide/recommend will be much appriciated. The more detailed, the better!
Thanks,

CS

Go to the nearest university that has aeronautical or aerospace courses and depending on what country you're living you should be able to find historical material on aeronautical structures.
You can also check the sites for that/those university/ies for books used on those courses.

PS: mechanical engineering is the foundation for aero engineering. :tongue:

NACA PDF documents page. Please google it yourself, I have no time at this moment.