LCD Native resolution/vertical sync and FPS

Hi since stone era I'm playing "Il2" but always want to find best balance situation about those 3 values:

1) I've a samsung Syncmaster 24" monitor native res. 1900x1200, now we all know "1946" don't have widescreen res. in it's engine (I use ecranwide mod) to obtain good visual compromise with 1680 x1050. BUT I've read somewhere that this mean a double work for the Graph Card that need to re-work the game displaying so is this wolud mean that's better to use a more closest res. (1920x1200 ?) in order to "light" the operation of display the game.
I've tried 1920x1200 but now I've have some kind of sharp-white contour-border in distance obyects, shorelines and planes. (=they seem wierd "3d" sometimes)

2) Vertical sync on or off for smooth the playability? I've seen that "on" option give me 60 fps (as mon. refresh max) or sometimes 30 fps but it's smooter that "off" option (some studder) but sometimes in big battles vertical sync "on" seem to suffer more the downspeed of fps than vert sync "off" ,

plz your feedback and your suggestion?

Goblin Wrote:1)...compromise with 1680 x1050. BUT I've read somewhere that this mean a double work for the Graph Card that need to re-work the game displaying
2) Vertical sync on or off for smooth the playability?
I think the idea that a lower res than the native means "double work" for video card is nonsense. A lower res is less work for the video card, and you will get smoother play and higher frame rates.
I run v-sync OFF, because I find the higher frame rates gives me smoother play, especially when panning the view, but the trade off is you get some tearing of the image in the cockpit. If the tearing does not bother you, then leave v-sync OFF.

Quote:sharp-white contour-border

latest graphics dll's and landgeom=3 made this go away on my install (their file date is march the 13th, 2008)

Quote:vsync

if you dont get the image tearing effect (example here: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/s ... p?t=188840) its ok to turn off vsync since it cuts down your framerates to your screen refresh rate (60hz)

but default should be ON

in the nvidia setup you need to turn on tripple buffering too if youre decide to use vsync

Quote:screen resolution

lower is faster, native resolution gives me sharper texts but I use a lower for IL-2 because its faster when lot of planes are in the air

Smile Thank you guy's (and Istvan) nice to see you ever hereSmile..

O.k.

First you need to understand what Vsync (Vertical Sync), does.
- It locks your video cards refresh rate to that of your monitor at it's current resolution.
ie. If your monitor is running at 1024 x 2048 at a refresh of 75hz, then your video card will run at a max of 75 fps with Vsync on.

Now for a lesson in human neural processing.
- The human brain can only process at a maximum of appx 30-35 frames per second (FPS). If your game is running at 30+ fps, it's going to be as smooth as glass. Turning off Vsync is not going to help.

For example, I have an LCD that runs at 60hz, I keep Vsync on due to the fact that I'm running a TrackIr and if I remove Vsync, even though I can run at 240fps, I experience vertical tearing when I turn my head to the left or right. Leaving Vsync on locks my video cards output to 60hz (60fps) and since the TrackIr processes at 60fps, I get movement that is as smooth as silk, and since my brain processes at only 30-35fps, the game is crystal clear, smooth and stutter free.

Vsync only comes into play as a help if you have a VERY OLD CRT monitor that runs less than 45hz. Yes, there were some old RGB monitors that ran that slow. You still see them on occasion on T.V. when you see the lines moving up on a screen.

**** NOTE **** Running a monitor at a higher refresh rate than it's rated for can damage it permanently! (Ghosting, pixelation, blurring, fuzzing and sometimes total failure.)

Hope this helps you and everyone else out just a little bit.

S!

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:Now for a lesson in human neural processing.
- The human brain can only process at a maximum of appx 30-35 frames per second (FPS). If your game is running at 30+ fps, it's going to be as smooth as glass. Turning off Vsync is not going to help.

This is false. Human brain see movement with, at least, 25-30fps. Less than this, and our brain detects static images in the process. But, human brain can feel difference between 30 and 100fps. Moreover, scientific studies have demonstrated that trained ppl like fighter pilots, can detect differences until near 200fps.

In game, with 30fps you don't play as smooth as with 60fps. We can detect the difference. Less than 30fps and you will see the stutters. It's different.

Sorry my bad English.

PA_Willy Wrote:
{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:Now for a lesson in human neural processing.

This is false. Human brain see movement with, at least, 25-30fps. Less than this, and our brain detects static images in the process. But, human brain can feel difference between 30 and 100fps. Moreover, scientific studies have demonstrated that trained ppl like fighter pilots, can detect differences until near 200fps.

In game, with 30fps you don't play as smooth as with 60fps. We can detect the difference. Less than 30fps and you will see the stutters. It's different.

Sorry my bad English.

As I said... Approximately. If it's less, then that only emphasizes my point. As for trained ppl like fighter pilots, you show me how many guys that are in this game are ACTUAL fighter pilots. I'm retired military and I'll tell you what, I can't detect anything over about 35 fps being any different from 240fps.

My point for this whole write up is simple. The average person can't decern a difference between 35fps and 200fps. Setting your Vsync to off makes no difference to your brain, only to your monitor. Run your monitor at a higher than recommended refresh rate and you run the risk of damaging it.

S!

So how do I get 1900x1600? Do I put that in the conf ini? I thought I tried this but it did not show up..... Help.....

So how do I get 1900x1600? Do I put that in the conf ini? I thought I tried this but it did not show up..... Help.....

First, you need to make sure that your Video Card/Monitor combination will support it.
Since I don't know what you have, I'm going to assume that you have already checked on that.

Open the conf.ini in the root directory of IL-2.
Change the resolution at the top of the file to what you want.
Make sure that you set save aspect to 0.

Now, last, but not least, if you have Vista or Win 7, you will have to make sure that you have set UAC to Off or make sure the game is not in the Program Files directory.
The reason for this is any system file, (ini's are considered system files by Vista/Win 7), has a backup copy made at the start of the program. That file is then compared to the original upon program termination. If any changes have occurred, Windows will then copy the backup over your changed file bringing the file back to it's original state.

That means any changes you make to your conf.ini file will be changed back to it's original (install/setup) state when the program ends.

Hope this helps you out.

S!

Thanks for the advice. Uhhhhhhh, Ahhhhhh Pretty. Confusedhock: Now that is really good. One caveat, the GUI for the game runs in 640x320. There are black bars on both sides. But when I fly the black bars dissapear and I get beautifull views. If I try to change the res in game, there is no 1920 x 1200. The only thing it does is change the GUI and the Game to whatever I choose. Is there a way that both will be at 1920 x 1200.
Here are my specs: Samsung flat monitor with Native res of 1920x1200 and MSI Gf 285 OC. I run Win XP Pro.

Thanks again and sorry if I hijacked the thread.

no, GUI game isn't possible to change, always you have to live with black bars (but I presume this isn't too much a troubleWink

No trouble at all. I have changed my computers to 1920x1200. IL2 looks a heck of a lot better. Just wanted to stop in and say thanks.

Thanks All!

Maico Wrote:I try to change the res in game, there is no 1920 x 1200. The only thing it does is change the GUI and the Game to whatever I choose. Is there a way that both will be at 1920 x 1200?
I think there is a Mod that does that, Ecran Wide, or something like that...it is included in Ultrapack, but you can install it as separate mod.

Yes, Ecran Wide will get rid of the bars and put the game into wide mode, BUT, you may end up with problems selecting bases on the map screen. The wide screen mod seems to throw off the icons a bit so that you have to select below them a bit to actually get the cross for base selection.

I couldn't deal with it, especially when I needed to select a base fast, so I just use the method I showed you.
Ecran Wide will also make your in game navigational map wide as well. Lengthening the sides but decreasing the top and bottom coverage in the process.

Try it out and make your own decision.

Something else that make the game better, at least for me, is the Smaller Font mod. Makes all the difference with the wide screen modes.