How do you use RAR password recovery programs ?

I'm trying to recover a lost password of a rar file, and I downloaded two programs,
one called
RAR Password Unlock
the other is
RAR Password Recovery Magic

The problem is ..its not really helping much..
with the later one, it says it has found two letters (that does not help me much),
I did a test, but creating a rar file which I put a simple 3 letter password,..and opened with this program to try and find it. You can select the minimum number and the maximum number of characters, so to make it easier I put in "3" and hit ok...
but the result was other than the password I had typed..

whats wrong here, how do you use such a program properly, and are there any better ones out there?

thanks alot for any suggestions

Those types of programs are what we call "Brute Force" password crackers.
They operate by figuring the number of possible combinations (Permutations and Combinations) a password can have given the number of characters and weather or not the characters can repeat.

ie. You have a 5 character password that can contain any combination of letters (26) and numbers (0-9) for a total of 36 choices. Because there are 5 positions, your number of possible passwords are as follows:

Order of characters matters
Repeating Numbers/Letters allowed: 60,466,176 possible solutions.
(36 to 5th power)

if

Repeating Numbers/Letters not allowed: 45,239,040 possible solutions
n!
(n-r)!

http://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatorics/...lator.html

Hope this confuses you just a bit more.... 8)

S!

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:Those types of programs are what we call "Brute Force" password crackers.
They operate by figuring the number of possible combinations (Permutations and Combinations) a password can have given the number of characters and weather or not the characters can repeat.

ie. You have a 5 character password that can contain any combination of letters (26) and numbers (0-9) for a total of 36 choices. Because there are 5 positions, your number of possible passwords are as follows:

Repeating Numbers/Letters allowed: 60,466,176 possible solutions.
(36 to 5th power)

if

Repeating Numbers/Letters not allowed: 45,239,040 possible solutions
n!
(n-r)!

http://www.mathsisfun.com/combinatorics/...lator.html

Hope this confuses you just a bit more.... 8)

S!

Yeah very..
and it wont crack my password that im trying to figure out

:-?

Google? I found a lot of stuff.