I'm shopping for a new machine and am considering switching from a Win XP Pro desktop to a Laptop running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Question is; Will IL-2/PF run on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit? Problems with older software on a 64-bit OS?

Thanks for your opinions.

will work just fine.

also old applications ( using a 32 bit conversion)

Works like a charm here.

Hi
And what about trackIR sofware ?
Does it completly work?

Not at home.....
It doesnt work at windows startup and no minimized automatically Sad

@+ Big Grin

FIGHT-Plow Wrote:Hi
And what about trackIR sofware ?
Does it completly work?

Not at home.....
It doesnt work at windows startup and no minimized automatically Sad

@+ Big Grin

Hi guys,

Flight Plow,

With Win7, IL-2 and all related software-including TrackIR, should work just fine. To make certain that there is not an issue with compatibility for your own peace of mind, you can run any application in Compatibility Mode. This is done by right clicking on either the applications .exe file or its shortcut. Both of these get at the information box about the application. At or near the [added later: bottom of the] box after right clicking, you should see a Properties tab. Click it and go to the Compatibility tab. Next, check the box for run IL-2, or any other application that needs it, in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2, or whatever is available.

Guys, let us know if this helps.

AKA_Mountain,

All I use is a 2007 HP laptop computer and IL-2 runs fine. Really, any computer that is Windows XP or later will run IL-2. Yes, even a Mac laptop will run IL-2 just fine.

The laptops have the obvious advantage of mobility. Your biggest concern should be in getting a computer with a powerful graphics card that can handle any game or simulation. Storm of War will be released in a few months and you will want something that can run it well.

Also, you may wish to wait a few weeks for the release of the NVIDIA GT-300 graphics card which will run Storm of War and IL-2 very well. Look for my post just a few down from this and click the links in it to go to YouTube about this fantastic card which is just around the bend in the road, so to speak. :wink:

Thanks all for your comments, they are most useful.

I'm doing some shopping for the laptop and want one that has a port replicator. Looks like the home equipment uses USB to connect to a docking station while business machines can be equipped with a more robust connection such as the Dell "d" or "e" port connections. I believe I need more speed than a USB connection can provide. Will look into the GT-300 graphics card also.

There are no GT300 cards. On the desktop, nVidia's next graphics cards will be the GTX480 and GTX470. The benchmarks so far have those pegged from 10-15% faster than the ATi offerings (HD5850 and HD5870), which has just been rendered even more marginal with the latest ATi driver release and will continue to be rendered ever less important with each driver release. For a $100 premium, the nVidia isn't worth it. Any GT300s you will see on both desktop and laptop platforms are rehashes of old GT200 parts (desktop) or old G92 parts (laptop) to try and dupe you into spending a premium on technology two and three generations removed.

If you want a high-end card right now, go ATi. Better yet, wait for the GTX480 to release and then the ATi prices will lower to further strangle nVidia, which again means buy ATi.

Axial Wrote:There are no GT300 cards. On the desktop, nVidia's next graphics cards will be the GTX480 and GTX470. The benchmarks so far have those pegged from 10-15% faster than the ATi offerings (HD5850 and HD5870), which has just been rendered even more marginal with the latest ATi driver release and will continue to be rendered ever less important with each driver release. For a $100 premium, the nVidia isn't worth it. Any GT300s you will see on both desktop and laptop platforms are rehashes of old GT200 parts (desktop) or old G92 parts (laptop) to try and dupe you into spending a premium on technology two and three generations removed.

If you want a high-end card right now, go ATi. Better yet, wait for the GTX480 to release and then the ATi prices will lower to further strangle nVidia, which again means buy ATi.

Axial, hi bro

Do me a favor, okay? Show me a website where nVidia retracts all their public statements.

NVIDIA published that their next series of graphics cards will be new hardware and have new software in them. Why would they lie to the public when they state that their next cards will be far better than anything on the market now? Why would they state that the GT - 300 will be released in limited quantities and then change their minds? Why would they claim that the next generation of PhysX technology will be incorporated in the very next series of graphics cards? Why would they promise that the image quality rendering of the cards will be even more impressive than the increase in speed? The very first cards will be available in probably a few weeks-a couple months at the most.

ATI for their part currently have the best high end cards in the world for PC gaming and simulations. However, their driver problems in rendering IL-2 without big anomalies is a hit -1 in favor of NVIDIA. Currently, NVIDIA is more user friendly for the average IL-2 enthusiast. For ATI users to overcome the driver gliches with IL-2 is a real hassle and beyond the ability of some ATI owners.

By the end of 2010, both ATI and NVIDIA will have released more graphics cards and the entire picture for IL-2 people will change. Added to that is the almost certainty that Storm of War will be released in the Autumn-roughly six months from now, give or take a month or two. This of course will bring a whole new set of issues with both ATI and NVIDIA by itself. Added to that is the cloud of debates over which graphics cards are the best.

Axial, I really and truely respect you and appreciate your contributions at AAA. However, the only thing that we seem to agree in the Great Card Debate is that a better strategy would be to wait a while and see what is available just around the bend in the road.

AKA_Mountain, Axial and I both agree that you should wait at least a few months on a purchase.

I will add that I personally recommend getting a machine with Windows 7. With IL-2, 32-bit or 64-bit makes no difference. Storm of War will surely support 64-bit and this is what I recommend.

Get a graphics card using DirectX 11. ATI has DirectX 11 on their new cards now and NVIDIA will be available with DirectX 11 this Spring. Storm of War will be rendered very well in DirectX 11 and rumors are that it will not be OpenGL supported.

Also, get at least 4 GB of system RAM and as much graphics dedicated memory at possible. If the newer cards have 3 or more GB of dedicated memory, then get them. You should definately try to get at least 3.0 Ghz of processing speed. The more the better.

Tks......"Window Shoping" now

Kalamazoo huh? Used to mountain bike Fort Custer and also DR Lawless in Cassapolis many moons ago......hence my handle "Mountain" Been shooting pistols a lot in Barrien Co. recently; follow the IDPA circuit in NW Indiana and SE Michigan. Plan to shoot in New Buffalo Sat. AM.

Tks again FS !!!

~S~

By the way, there is no problem in running older software with 64-bit system. Smile

Nice to know, Mountain.

I was born in Saint Joseph. Also, I should mention that Kalamazoo has one fabulous aviation museum-"Kalamazoo Air-Zoo". Though not too big, it boasts an SR-71 Blackbird! There are World War Two aeroplanes, nice stuff for the kids, and a panaramic 3D flight simulator!

Also, consider either NVIDIA SLI or ATI Crossfire. Research these and let me know what you think.

Quote:Kalamazoo has one fabulous aviation museum.

Now, I MUST plan a short trip!

Last trip was 1 1/2 years ago to Wright-Patt

Every tech site I frequent, including AnandTech, Tom's Hardware, and Engadget, have all announced the specs and the names for nVidia's newest cards, quoted from nVidia themselves. They are, for a fact, the GTX480 and GTX470. I suspect that the even cheaper (lol) versions will be the GTX460 and then GTS450, etc. This is purely speculative on my part, though. As for laptops, well, we've already got "GT300M" parts, but they are all just slightly overclocked GT200M parts, which are in turn underclocked, die-shrunk G92/G94 parts. Again, that is a fact, not speculation.

While I agree that ATi has had some driver issues in the past, they are shaping up nicely now. IL-2 has its quirks, yes, but I personally wouldn't let that stop me from buying the best deal on the market.

Most likely issues are unsupported hardware (drivers).

eg.

TIR 2 - there is a workaround at Natural point forum , though I've not got it to work as yet
Creative SB live