Hankow Map - Total Retexturing

The Hankow China map has now been completely retextured from scratch. The populating by Riptide was excellent work, with nicely conceived templates of Chinese looking villages and towns. But the texturing of the map, the cultivated fields especially, always seemed to be lacking in the correct look and feel. It didn't really give an impression of being even remotely Chinese or Asiatic ...

So, after learning a bit more about using cultivated fields and how to better integrate them into a landscape, I thought a total retexturing of Hankow to be in order.

Please note, nothing EXCEPT the placement/assignment of the textures has been changed. All else, objects, airfields, roads, rivers, cities and landscape height has all remained the same. ONLY the textures were changed. New textures were made for the map, a greater variety in texture types was used so that various map areas have a different look from each other, and care was taken that cultivated fields no longer creep up hillsides.

To install this, you can either remove your old version completely and install the new full version. Or you can add the new version so that you have 2 versions of Hankow. If you add the updated version, note that you not be overwriting any file at all when you install. You will be overwriting directory structures, but it will not effect anything else. If you choose the Full version, you will overwrite existing files.

You will need to add a line to your all.ini file. It is included in both links.

Link for Full Version (for first time full, install)
http://www.mediafire.com/?invy1mvyawz

Link for Update to Retextured Version
http://www.mediafire.com/?4myneommuhy

And to give you an idea how the new textures look, some screenshots:

[img][Image: Hankow_2-3004201017-44-40.jpg]

[/img][Image: Hankow_2-3004201020-20-51.jpg]

[img][Image: Hankow_2-3004201020-16-01.jpg]

[/img][Image: Hankow_2-3004201020-10-56.jpg]

[img][Image: Hankow_2-3004201020-08-44.jpg]

[/img][Image: Hankow_2-3004201020-05-52.jpg]

[img][Image: Hankow_2-010520100-24-33.jpg]

[/img][Image: Hankow_2-010520100-20-22.jpg]

[img][Image: Hankow_2-010520100-09-00.jpg][/img]

Hum looks much much better, thanks man.

Downloading this tonight. By the way was you who told me enjoying to fly over deserts or Kapteeni i don't remember? I'm working on new desert textures for Lybia map to make it fit with Viking's El alamein map.

I think it could be nice for desert campain fans to have the same level of quality than El Alamein.

redko Wrote:Hum looks much much better, thanks man.

Downloading this tonight. By the way was you who told me enjoying to fly over deserts or Kapteeni i don't remember? I'm working on new desert textures for Lybia map to make it fit with Viking's El alamein map.

I think it could be nice for desert campain fans to have the same level of quality than El Alamein.

I think we both like desert landscapes. But I do know that I posted that I always felt that making desert maps was much easier than others ...

Mmm...ok. We will see i just started this morning this work. Soon pics.
I played your Hankow map this morning. That's better, we feel in China :wink:. Are you going to let the mounts as a texture only, i mean without wood?
For paddies it could be nice to have some lines of trees.

I would like to add some ships fishing but i can't save. This a good map Agracier, i hope we will have nice missions for it soon.

redko Wrote:Mmm...ok. We will see i just started this morning this work. Soon pics.
I played your Hankow map this morning. That's better, we feel in China :wink:. Are you goind to let the mounts as a texture only, i mean without wood?
For paddies i could be nice to have some lines of trees.

I would like ti add some ships fishing but i can't save. This a good map Agracier, i hope we will have nice missions for it soon.

For some reason I don't really care for the wood/forest trees (RGB 24) ... the game generated random trees are better, perhaps I should make some tree files for some of the cultivated fields textures ... a good idea ...

No its ok without, it was just a question.
I wondered if mounts are better with wood/forest or only texture. On Kyushu map i have some mounts chains only with texture and the effect is pretty good, texture brings more diversity than wood/forest slot. I guess it depends of what texture you are using.

keep on with the good work :wink:

Oh wow! Nice job so far.

Desert maps are my favs!! Even as a kid i used to draw desert war comics-lol!
@Agracier. map looks gorgeous!!!
kap

Just great stuff.. See, it's this kind of improvement that keeps me interested in this game!

Trooper117 Wrote:Just great stuff.. See, it's this kind of improvement that keeps me interested in this game!

And for some odd reason, it's being able to make these kind things for a game that keeps me interested in Il-2 too. If this had been a flight sim like the last 3 dozen I've bought over the years, I would have been all into them for a few weeks or a few months and maybe, just maybe if they were real good, come back to several for a short while after a period.

But Il-2 just keeps on being ... I dunno, interesting, challenging, multi-taskable? And all the more remarkable for being essentially a rather old game, as these things go ...

Whoever decided to allow all this modding to go on, should be awarded some kind of insight award. I suppose it's Oleg Maddox. This is the way to keep people interested in the game.

Very nice work agracier Big Grin
Thank you Tongue

S! HG

agracier,

Fantastic refinement! Thanks!

Cheers,

Riptide

Fantastic work retexturing this map. It looks much different and much better than the previous version. I especially like the forest texture with the pop up tree objects.

But there are problems with the roads as some have the triangle connections and some intersections do not even meet. This is apparent even close to Hankow. Just pick any road and follow it and you will most likely find a bad spot. Also have some roads going on the sides of mountains.
Airfields still need to be flattened. The most obvious is in the far north-east with a hill smack dab in the middle of it (how do the Dutch say it?) Wink

*Overall the look is very nice and appealing but just needs fixing of roads and airfields.

Perhaps you can also make available a download link for the old static file for people who did not get the original version??

Link to my MEDIAFIRE downloads page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb9c2dafe61348e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871">http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb ... f6e8ebb871</a><!-- m -->

CzechTexan Wrote:But there are problems with the roads as some have the triangle connections and some intersections do not even meet. This is apparent even close to Hankow. Just pick any road and follow it and you will most likely find a bad spot. Also have some roads going on the sides of mountains.
Airfields still need to be flattened. The most obvious is in the far north-east with a hill smack dab in the middle of it (how do the Dutch say it?) Wink

*Overall the look is very nice and appealing but just needs fixing of roads and airfields.

Ahhh, the work is never done ... I'll go over the roads and airfields ... I must have corrected and flattened those airfields some 4 or 5 times that I can remember, so maybe I copied a wrong map_h or something similarly stupid ... I'll get a link up for the corrections and for the old static ini ...

And how the Dutch say it I wouldn't really know - nou eige'lijk misschien wel, maar ik woon niet in Nederland, wel net iets ten zuiden d'rvan ... ha ha.

agracier Wrote:
CzechTexan Wrote:nou eige'lijk misschien wel, maar ik woon niet in Nederland, wel net iets ten zuiden d'rvan ... ha ha.

Which means :???: :???: