Torpedo launching

Hi guys! i just installed patch 4.8 & 4.9 and HSFX 4.0, but I can't manage to launch a torpedo.Everytime i launch it says"broken on water or failed at entry on water" Maybe it's the speed too high(180 km/h)? the height was 5-15 meters, so I don't know where I go wrong.I used the JU 88 torp & A20 G as launching platforms.Please help.Thanks

Hi'
I haven't got the exact parameters, but you have to practice some more ; speed 200-250 Km/hr , altitude 20 -50 meters on a "steady " run-in, :twisted: disregard the flak !
Hals und Beinbruch
ColaBen

Yes, maybe it was the low altitude, and the torpedo didn't dive, instead splash into the water and bounced off...I'll try to keep 40 meters and steady.Thanks!

you could just disable the realistic bomb and torpedo fusing mod through JSGME.

i can't launch any torps either. with or without realistic bomb fusing enabled. tried all alt and speed, plane and torp combinations. only got a couple of russian torps from il2-t to run when dropped at stall speed just above water Sad it is a bug for sure. anyone got any ideas ? maybe is from mod soup?

wikkipedia says "Later in the war the design was modified to allow drops from as high as 2,400 ft (730 m), at speeds up to 410 knots (760 km/h)@" so 180km/h at 10m seems way too slow even if it is early war

I finally succeeded, but it't annoying: you should fly 20-25 m above the water with no more than 170km/h...with the JU 88 with flaps deployed to "landing" you're near stall...not to mention that you're a sitting duck for flak.The easiest to use is the TBM Avenger, so try it .

You blokes with HSFX should open Game Directory >HSFX V4 Tools & Readme's> XXXRealistic Bomb and Torpedoes ArmingXXX.txt. All will be explained. Lots of other interesting readme's in there too, including how to use the Ju88 with torpedoes, but then no-one ever bothers with reading the instructions do they? :wink:
If you don't have HSFX/UP and have tried the instructions that came with the mod, then I'm afraid that mod soup it must be.

:cheers:

i'm using HSFX enabled through version switcher of UP20.1. and there is no read me other than a simple read me that says to be sure to read the read me for details! Nothing in any folders in my UP20.1 installation that i can find... and i have looked. Can you please tell me where this illusive read me is? when i use windows search to look in IL2 1946 for "readme" it can't even find it. there is certainly no "HSFX V4 Tools & Readme's" in there

just Wrote:i'm using HSFX enabled through version switcher of UP20.1. and there is no read me other than a simple read me that says to be sure to read the read me for details! Nothing in any folders in my UP20.1 installation that i can find... and i have looked. Can you please tell me where this illusive read me is? when i use windows search to look in IL2 1946 for "readme" it can't even find it. there is certainly no "HSFX V4 Tools & Readme's" in there

HSFX has a folder called 'HSFX V4 Tools & Readme's', alphabetically between 'GSData' and 'i18n' folders, and the file you want is in there. However, I don't have UP, so don't know if it was stripped out from there when they included HSFX into their pack. In case it was, this is the text from the readme:

Quote:About torpedoes, some limits have been introduced on impact of the torpedo with water: an impact angle range (max-min) and a max impact speed.

This translates into some particular speed and altitude values to be kept by the dropping aircraft. To achieve the given impact angle, the aircraft can run a bit lower and a bit slower. Or it can run a bit higher and a bit faster, but not so higher and faster to reach maximum impact speed.

Ingame torpedoes have been modified by adding some new parameters. Also two "late" types of torpedoes have been introduced, to reflect improvements made by the Japanese and the US along the war. So, later version of US and Japanese torpedo planes (e.g. late TBF/TBM, B6N Tenzan) should receive this torpedo (this is to be done, and is rather difficult given hard-coding of weapons in IL-2).

It the torpedo is dropped with wrong parameters, the player will get a HUD message. As a bonus, the player will also get a HUD message when his torpedo hits a target. These constraints only apply to human players, because applying them to AI would have meant rewriting completely their attack routines and making one different for each type of torpedo.

The recommended values for all torpedoes are as follows:

LTF5W (Italian Whitehead)

100m, 300Km/h

LTF5B (German)

40m, 250Km/h

Mk13, Mk13a (US)

30m, 205 km/h

Mk13 late (US)

180m, 400 km/h

(this torpedo had a much wider range of drop than the early one)

Type91 (Japan)

30m, 240 Km/h

Type91 late (Japan)

60m, 330 km/h

(this torpedo had a much wider range of drop than the early one)

4512 (??? used by Germany, URSS)

30m, 205 km/h

Also torpedoes now need to be in water for some time (3-4 seconds) before arming. Otherwise, they will not explode. So a torpedo that hits land will not explode, and not even scoring a direct hit on a ship. It must fall in water and run in water for 3-4 seconds.

About Bombs.

Bombs now have a 2.5 second arming time (not selectable by player). If they travel in the air after being dropped for less than 2.5 seconds, they will not explode. So, suicidal Jabo and skip-bombing attacks, where the player drops the bomb at 5 or 10m height, will not be possible anymore. Minimum drop height is about 35m for aircraft in level flight, even less for aircraft diving.

Also a random (gaussian) dispersion is introduced for bombs. This will have almost no effect for jabo/skip bombing, but will be noticeable for high altitude bombing. For example, from 4000m, bombs will have an average error of the order of 40m. This applies both to AI and players.

These modifications have been done to improve realism, but nonetheless to keep still a good playability. But, taking everything in account, I think it will be much more difficult to hit a ship. Now in IL-2, hitting a ship it's laughably easy, either by torpedo bombing or skip bombing. In real life, it was terribly difficult. With this mod, it's about half-way, not too easy, not too difficult.

Antoni Maraz

:cheers;

If you have this mod enabled, you must stay with-in the perameters for the type torp or you won't get the desired results. TC