[BETA] New wingtip vortices Mod

ANY suggestions welcome..I'll try to improve Big Grin
...I'm not yet so satisfied with this mod...I'll find some free time to develop 'er furthermore.

EDITED: 20/5/2010
If you want to shorten or lengthen the vortices, follow this link.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, this is my first attempt for making mods. Big Grin

Thanks HG a lot for all your help, I owe you 3x10^26 Salutes!

This mod features new uneven and longer wingtip vortices style for your stalling aircraft. I tried to make it as close as possible to the Birds of Prey.

There is no FPS drop for my PC, if you experience one, please tell me.

Hope you guys like it. Big Grin

There is 2 versions for now. Choose one you like Wink

Comparison Pics

[Image: Wingtip1.jpg]

[Image: Wingtip2.jpg]

Compare to BoP
[Image: Wingtip3.jpg]

Update log
V0.1L
-Make it lighter and more uneven.

V0.1
-First release.

Download Link
V0.1
NS_Wingtip_Vortices_V0.1

For JSGME users..
NS_Wingtip_Vortices_V0.1(JSGME)

V0.1L
NS_Wingtip_Vortices_V0.1L

For JSGME users..
NS_Wingtip_Vortices_V0.1L(JSGME)

Happy stalling,
S! Nightshade

Thank you very much! The stock ones are too 2D.

Thanks for this, can't wait to test it out Wink

imho, birds of prey is not a realistic way to gauge how wing tip vortices look.

in real life when you do see vortices coming off a wingtip (which is rare...and usually only in humid conditions) they are pencil thin and without any real definition. they shouldn't look like puffy smoke systems attached to the wingtips at all. a thinner cross between the stock effect and your lighter version would look really nice.

Very impressive. The curls at wingtips show the need of Winglets at modern planes.

Thank you

aviatorsneah Wrote:imho, birds of prey is not a realistic way to gauge how wing tip vortices look.

in real life when you do see vortices coming off a wingtip (which is rare...and usually only in humid conditions) they are pencil thin and without any real definition. they shouldn't look like puffy smoke systems attached to the wingtips at all. a thinner cross between the stock effect and your lighter version would look really nice.

Acknowledged mate, thanks for info. Smile

V0.2 will come out...sadly, not too soon...I have so much RL things to do.(Mainly study)...Hope you dont mind this...

However, you may enjoy the current mod as the "game-ish" feeling mod. :wink:

Cheeeers,
S! Nightshade

aviatorsneah Wrote:imho, birds of prey is not a realistic way to gauge how wing tip vortices look.

Agree.
But thanks anyway for the job, i will try this without any doubt :wink: .

wingtip contrails are not a rare occurrence at all, and don't appear only in humid conditions, nor they are pencil thin..
The principal reason is the difference of pressure between the wing's top and bottom surfaces, whose airflows meet at the wingtip and generate a low pressure/low temperature area and an air vortex. If the vortex's temperature is close to or below the local dew point, you'll have condensation and you'll be able to see (they're there anyway) these tubular vortexes generating from wingtips or any other aerodynamic leading edge (i.e. propeller wingtips).
It's a common mistake to link humidity to contrails, but u can have contrails in a desert if u have the right conditions.

I agree about the fact that they shouldn't appear as puffy clouds though (even if they look more "cloudy" and turbulent at low speeds and from laminar leading edges), I think it's really hard to recreate them in 3d, and probably the stock effect is better, it should only be slightly longer and have a better fading effect.

A.

Thanks for the information, Alex :wink:

S! Nightshade

Thanks for this mod! I actually searched for something like this. A question: Has anyone yet attempted to create a main fuselage vortex mod for IL2 (?), would love to see my beloved F-86s have this.. Big Grin

In any case, thanks, will check it out!

Cheers!