Question for engineers !?!?!?

Hello All,

Im just wandering about this question .... it kinda intrigues me, i know that non military aircraft is usually build of composite materials or aeronautic aluminum, but the jet fighters which material are those made ... or they use the aluminum and pass it thru a process to strengthen it !!!!

For example this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl8d4cd4Esw

The SU execute some acrobatics on 1G or 2G on horizontal them out of nothing it goes full vertical until it stall .... what bugs me is why in the heavens the plane didn't break apart with the forces that it's being applied on !!!!

Thanks Guys ... im very curious about it ... and if someone can help me i'll appreciate, it may help my future im intend to study aeronautic engineering.

I actually took this class last year. IIRC, fourth generation (F-14 to F-16) are made of a composite material of an aluminum matrix and boron fibers.

Thanks boogabooga,

But those are in layers or combined to create a alloy !? i imagine that it no longer possess the "malleability" from the usual aluminum ?!

Really thanks

OK,

Composite materials are multiple discrete materials that are joined together, and, together, have different properties than the constituents alone. In this case, the aluminum is the matrix, and boron is the reinforcement. That means that it is mostly aluminum metal (I don't know if it is an alloy or pure) with very many, very fine elemental boron fibers embeded within it. The presence of the fibers makes the material much stronger (in certain ways) than aluminum alone.

Thanks boogabooga,

Very educative talk, if you've anything more interesting regarding the subject please send me by PM, i'll be very glad to receive more material to study.

Gota be ready when the time comes Big Grin

Thanks Again

The aluminium used in aircraft construction is not pure it is typically an alloy of the 2000 series, specifically 2024 T-3. The main alloying agents are copper and magnesium plus manganese with some silicon. The copper provides ductility so it can be formed. The T-3 designates the factory temper. The aluminium if in sheet form is Alclad which means that it has a minute layer of pure alum on the surface to provide for corrosion resistance. 7000 series alum has also been used in construction. In modern jets as stated above a lot of the material is composites such as graphite and carbon fiber and bonded honeycomb or in the case of the SR-71 both composite and titanium were used during construction.

http://www.makeitfrom.com/data/?material=2024_Alum

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD ... tTRDoc.pdf

Very cool .041 Safety Wire

Thanks I'll study the info that you've send me, even if now i don't have the engineer skill to project and build airplanes, I've many books of the subject and i sometimes i try to build on my mind a airplane stage by stage, and it's curious that by using this process (of course allied to math Tongue ) i can advance some project problems, i still need to learn a lot and one of the challenges that I've proposed to myself is a plane that's small (2 seat) and can land and take off on a slow speed (waiting Raymer's book AIRCRAFT DESIGN: A Conceptual Approach that'll surely take me some time to figure out the math on it) and fly fast ... but i don't see many books covering materials and construction motheods of planes (metal based) today we can see a lot of builds based on fiber glass and non metal i don't really trust much on those, with time heat/cold, pressure and all the shaking it usually start to develop some small cracks and demand a lot of attention.

That's why I'm more a "metal" guy and now are starting to study this subject.

If you've more interesting things on this subject please don't hesitate in send me Smile .

Thanks

Hidamen Wrote:Very cool .041 Safety Wire

Thanks I'll study the info that you've send me, even if now i don't have the engineer skill to project and build airplanes, I've many books of the subject and i sometimes i try to build on my mind a airplane stage by stage, and it's curious that by using this process (of course allied to math Tongue ) i can advance some project problems, i still need to learn a lot and one of the challenges that I've proposed to myself is a plane that's small (2 seat) and can land and take off on a slow speed (waiting Raymer's book AIRCRAFT DESIGN: A Conceptual Approach that'll surely take me some time to figure out the math on it) and fly fast ... but i don't see many books covering materials and construction motheods of planes (metal based) today we can see a lot of builds based on fiber glass and non metal i don't really trust much on those, with time heat/cold, pressure and all the shaking it usually start to develop some small cracks and demand a lot of attention.

That's why I'm more a "metal" guy and now are starting to study this subject.

If you've more interesting things on this subject please don't hesitate in send me Smile .

Thanks

These publications are put out by the FAA, there is one General,one Airframe and Powerplant. They are a must have for anyone interested in aircraft construction. I would also recommend publication FAA 43-13 1b and 2b. Inspection,Repair and Alteration acceptable methods and practices. The first pub is a study guide for persons wishing to acquire an A & P license.

http://www.amazon.com/Airframe-Powerpla ... pd_sim_b_5

http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Inspecti ... er_auth_dp

Thanks Wire,

I'll buy those when i've a chance to do so, in case you run thru more interesting knowledge please if you want inform me i'll be surely thankful Smile (it's kinda hard be updated since i live on brazil Tongue).

Thanks Again