New Guinea Map

Team Pacific - creators of "The Slot" map, one of my favourite maps and basis for a great DCG campaign (http://forums.oesau.jg1.org/viewtopic.php?t=17861) - were working on a New Guinea / New Britain area map. Anybody have any info on the status of this project? Whether it is still WIP or canceled?
I have just finished reading "Fire in the Sky: The Air War In the South Pacific" by Eric Bergerud (2000). This book is a comprehensive thematic history of the Solomons and New Guinea aerial campaigns for the period 1942-1944, covering all issues from the physical environments in which the warfare took place (and the horrendous health issues), through the aircraft used, tactics, pilots, medical issues, morale etc. In my opinion, this approach is an excellent way to approach the topic, and complements the more traditional narrative approach to history. The book contains some very interesting comments from pilots on the strength and weaknesses of their aircraft and tactics. For instance, the "sniper" 20mm canon tail gun on the Betty had such a slow rate of fire and was so inaccurate that US pilots basically ignored it! Try doing that in IL2!
Anyway, after reading the book I am now keen for more New Guinea area action, and the Team Pacific map would be an ideal basis.

~S~
As far as I know the Team Pacific NGNB 2-11 map is in a beta statis.
However my group has been using it. Also I know that Fallen Angels are
using it for a NGNB campiagn. I can find out and let you know what the
statis of the map is. Here is the link to the Fallen Angels web site:
http://www.fallenangelssquadron.com/

Kabayo

NGNB is under a private strenuous campaign test phase and there are many things to fix at this moment as we progress.

As far as I have been informed, NGNB is for private testing only.

Thrud can fill in the blanks when he gets here.

One more thing, making something of quality takes allot of time.

~S~
I should have been more precise on that. My group isn't using the NGNB map
on line, we are just using it for our own use and testing. Thank You Monguse for clearing that up for him. I should have mention it, however I was not thinking, most be old age lol.
Kabayo

i wouldn't say there are MANY things wrong it. A lot of the towns were built with modded objects that were in HSFX 1.+

it's a great looking map that has a good chance of getting into an official release for version 4.10+ . In order for that to occur, those towns/ports/etc would have to be rebuilt with stock 4.09 objects. Luckily we made the right choice by using stock 4.09b1 objects when we built the Slot. Because of this, it was easy to tweak and submit to TD for inclusion for official release.

i'm waiting on TD's version 4.10 and will update the 4 NGNB maps with thier data then give it to them or release it to the public.

~S~ Thurd
Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to the release of your fine map.
It will be a great addition to the Pacific maps.
I want to say I enjoyed it and had fun flying it off line. As far as my testing
I haven't had any problems with it. As you said just to tweek it now .
Kabayo

This is fantastic news guys, the map sounds like a winner. Congratulations to all involved in the production and testing program, and looking forward to when the team is happy with the final product and release it to the general community. The next thing will be to persuade Lowengrin to add it to his DCG progam Smile

IMO, I feel the additional maps and associated mods the best part of the whole mod experience, and add so much to the scope of this amazing sim.

Looking forward to this, just found a great source of information for building a campaign, but was unable to begin work due to the lack of a sizable map of New Guinea.

Well I recently flew in the campaign Monguse & Thurd mention, the map very nice, and will be my primary one used once released. The only issues I have with it past the unfortunate limitations of the sim (if so close to water the ground cannot be elevated) are some of the parking area road textures are mixed up slightly (have a hard edge shifting from pure dirt to grass), it will take a lot of tree objects to fill in the bases (would be nice if the pancake trees were closer)......yet most of all I believe aspects such as blast bunkers need to be removed from the bases.

The reason for the last is the stock blast bunkers are terrible and show up like bullseyes. It was nice of Thurd to take the time to add them in that most folks would not know where to place the odd ones, yet I'd rather not have them there and be able to add a modded object wherein a stock blast bunker was re-painted to match the ground textures.....The Japanese especially were maticulous about camouflage. The natural growth of foilage in New Guinea just amplifying those efforts dramatically.

K2

HI there

Do you have Port Moresby and Dobodura on the Map?

Port Moresby is not on the map but the entire Dobodura complex is on the map.

Thanks for the status update Thrud. I'm looking forward to this one more than I was the SLOT - which still amazes me with its detail! I've always felt that New Guinea and Rabaul were forgotten battles and should be appreciated more so thanks to everyone involved in this project for making it happen.

I'm impressed to learn about the bunkers objects and their locations on the map. I'm glad they are added. I say if you have the information, that most people do not have, then go ahead.

Nozedyve, there is also a newer book titled RABAUL which I think you might find interesting. I don't have it yet but I plan on getting it.

Great to see that this map is still on course, really looking forward to it.

CzechTexan : thanks for the info on the new Rabaul book. I did a quick search at Amazon and came across "Fortress Rabaul" by Bruce Gamble. Presumably this is the book you referred to, looks really good and placed it on my wish list. Also I would like to thank you for your Burma campaigns, they're all great to fly, and I particularly enjoyed Twin Dragons - love the P38.

Having flown in the NGNB campaign with you guys I'm curious if you were doing anything regarding the aircraft most notably the B25's and B24-D?

K2

K2 the short answer is yes.