1/48 East German Mi-24 Hind

My third model ever built, posting here because i'd like some tips on what to do when painting/gluing etc.

[Image: 1001035o.jpg]
[Image: 1001038v.jpg]
[Image: 1001039d.jpg]

I didn't read anything against posting helicopters and i assume because it's called ALL aircraft simulations, that ALL aircraft are welcome, but if i'm wrong i apologize in advance.

Yeah, you have the same problem that I used to have. You have too thick paints and/or too thick layer of paint. Some of the pros here might be able to help you with it...

I'm sad to see it like that but the paint is way too thick, that thing won't be able to take off, like 2 tons of paint there.

I feel that spray paint, such as a spray can or paint gun, is the best for aircraft of all types. With some practice, you can get nice, light application and good paint boundries.

Hi, Nice work, here are some tips:

Get an Airbrush

Learn about paint and how it works. Viscosity, it doesn't "dry" it "flows". Stuff like that.

Use masking tape (to mask the clear parts)

Get an assortment of brushes (Size matters)

Learn about thinners, used to achieve the correct viscosity.

Join a modeling club, or look into modeling magazines

Less is more.

Keep practicing.

Use glue very sparingly, experiment with different glues.

Don't be afraid to experiment.

Enjoy your hobby. If you like it, then it rocks. If you hate it, there's always a firecracker~ with parents permission and supervision ONLY.

Most of all HAVE FUN!

like db said: keep practicing.

i mostly use very fine syntetic brushes because they give a nice result.
and i'd suggest you get a piece of plastic or cheap model to train your painting skills on.

and dip your brush for only 2-3 mm in the paint, thats gives a thinner coat but still covers most of the spots if you know how to handle it (plain practice)

the paint and glue i use are from Revell because those give (from the lots of types i tested) about on of the best results, especially the glue (it doesnt melt plastic away like to many other model glues}

(you can see one of my latest here: http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...02&t=25796 )

i just finished building a 1/48th hind to, i'll send you some pics when i finished painting

db605-A/S Wrote:Enjoy your hobby. If you like it, then it rocks. If you hate it, there's always a firecracker~ with parents permission and supervision ONLY.

Never! I don't care how bad it looks, I'd never blow up something I've worked for that long on. It's better BY FAR than my first model, that one unfortunately fell off my model shelf and broke. My second model ever was the first to actually have decals on it. This one is a great improvement and it's as much as a learning experience as it is a time consuming fun project that makes me forget to eat for 15 hours.

Also, exactly how do you make the paint thinner? I assume you'd use paint thinner for that but i've only used paint thinner so far to remove paint when i've messed it up. So i don't really know what ratio of paint to thinner one would use. On another note, where would i get an airbrush and compressor for said airbrush?

Uberdood Wrote:Also, exactly how do you make the paint thinner? I assume you'd use paint thinner for that but i've only used paint thinner so far to remove paint when i've messed it up. So i don't really know what ratio of paint to thinner one would use. On another note, where would i get an airbrush and compressor for said airbrush?

i dont use paint thinner, i just put a little at a time on my brush and put it on the model as a nice and even coat, and tryto do everything in a following order, and not letting a color dry too much or it will start to pile up and give the result you currently have

and dont use paint thinner to remove paint, if you really have to remove some paint, put a little tip of a fine cloth in a bit of terpentine, i also use it to clear my brushes of paint and it works quite well, but its better if you dont have to use it, always gives a nicer result

and if you got a detailed model, use brushes which dont lose hairs, those can rly ruin your day (also use small brushes for small details, i got a very small brush otm (2-3 mm in diameter) and with about a mm or 2 of the tip dipped in the paint and then on the model gives a really nice result for those presky window reënforcements etc)

for airbrushes, i'd visit a mid to large modelling store and ask for a employee for some expert advice, you'll get really far that way and you'll prob be having a good airbrush which suits your request before you know it