Another newbie trying to mod :)

Hi to all.
the mod I'm trying to make is a modification to devicelink, in sense, i wish to export some other internal variables. For starters I'm in bad need to get the positioning on the map. I don't know if this was done before, however i didn't find it.
So is anyone able/willing to provide some help regarding this kind of modding? or similar mod exist? source code available? Or even someone willing to make the mod?

Nvm figured it out Smile
Didn't knew it was thas that simple, I

Ok, i managed to write the mod however looks like i dont know how to properly install it into the game Smile Tryed to copy the files into the il2/Files/ folder where i got them and nothing changed. So can any1 help me with that? Tongue

What is the device link and what are you modifying about it?

Ok i finished the mod. I figured it all by myself \o/
Devicelink is il2's protocol to comunicate with a 3rd party programs, for people that make thair own cockpit models or similar.You can also send commands tru that protocol, more or less everything u can keybind, u shuld look the readme devicelink.txt in il2 folder Smile
However i wanted device link to export also x and y coordinates where the plane on the map is for my experimenting, so i wrote the mod Smile
Anyway heres the my first experiment:
Can the ingame coordinates be translated into reallife longiture/latitude coordinates and the flight history be displayed in google earth?
Yes apparently it can!
i used the map okinawa and with photoshop i overlaped the both maps and found the latitude and longitude offset.
heres the result:
.zip testFlight.zip Size: 6,31 KB  Downloads: 22

Wow that is interesting, very interesting, and I just realised Google Earth has 3D water and you can go under it, But might I ask what the point of this mod is?

Well i got 2 uses for external position via devicelink.
1. is well flight history review, similar what u get when u finish the mission except this is realtime and 3d
2. main purpose to use il2 as an UAV simulator, for my autopilot project.

w1ndf4k3r, if you haven't yet seen it, you may find this of interest: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...4121016097

yeah ive notice that thread, however as far as i know he didnt have the x,y position i accomplished that so now i can use il2 for some serius uav testing Smile

Welcome to the forum, well done.

Thanks, also I've added an accurate(in milliseconds) time export which is good for certain calculations (groundspeed,rollrate,pitchrate,etc..).
As for sharing the actual mod i am undecided. I am willing to share however, since at the beginning i didn't know where to start i used as an example the Devicelink online mod found on this forums, so my mod know is online enabled which imho is abusable so i wont share this version, but i will rewrite the mod using the original device link. So the question about sharing is more about me being lazy to rewrite it Smile

Also I've succesfuly created few autopilot parts. My autopilot can hold bank/pitch, Vertical speed, and/or altitude. ex: Plane is at 2000m and i tell autopilot to hold altitude at 2m, the plane will descent and hold altitude and fly level 2m from sea Smile Now all that is left is heading hold and i can easily make an 3d waypoint navigation.

w1ndf4k3r Wrote:Thanks, also I've added an accurate(in milliseconds) time export which is good for certain calculations (groundspeed,rollrate,pitchrate,etc..).
As for sharing the actual mod i am undecided. I am willing to share however, since at the beginning i didn't know where to start i used as an example the Devicelink online mod found on this forums, so my mod know is online enabled which imho is abusable so i wont share this version, but i will rewrite the mod using the original device link. So the question about sharing is more about me being lazy to rewrite it Smile

Also I've succesfuly created few autopilot parts. My autopilot can hold bank/pitch, Vertical speed, and/or altitude. ex: Plane is at 2000m and i tell autopilot to hold altitude at 2m, the plane will descent and hold altitude and fly level 2m from sea Smile Now all that is left is heading hold and i can easily make an 3d waypoint navigation.
Wow, you're going to be one of the top dogs here with your mods Smile

Oh maybe i wasnt that clear, the autopilot thing i spoke about isn't a mod, is a 3rd party program that controls il tru devicelink. the only mod i applied to il was add "gps", which at the moment my autopilot doesnt even use.

w1ndf4k3r Wrote:Ok i finished the mod. I figured it all by myself \o/
Devicelink is il2's protocol to comunicate with a 3rd party programs, for people that make thair own cockpit models or similar.You can also send commands tru that protocol, more or less everything u can keybind, u shuld look the readme devicelink.txt in il2 folder Smile
However i wanted device link to export also x and y coordinates where the plane on the map is for my experimenting, so i wrote the mod Smile
Anyway heres the my first experiment:
Can the ingame coordinates be translated into reallife longiture/latitude coordinates and the flight history be displayed in google earth?
Yes apparently it can!
i used the map okinawa and with photoshop i overlaped the both maps and found the latitude and longitude offset.
heres the result: [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Hi I would like to do the same mod. I didn't find any informations about write a mod. Please could you tell me what I need, if you have also a small piece of code.
Thx in advence.
Frederic

Hi,
I'm also interested in having this extended Device Link. Did you publish the mod somewhere ?

regards