splitting actors.static into "chunks"?

I am going to be populating the Army Group Centre map in a few weeks time. As the map is very large, I thought that I might work on it in chunks. For instance, I would do the south-central area (Gomel') as 1 chunk, the north-west (Polotsk) as another, the south-east (Bryansk) as a third, etc.

Can I re-save each stage of the actors.static as a different name to obtain a "clean slate" for the next stage and then add various chunks together depending on what parts of the map I wanted to campaign?

For instance, if I do Polotsk and then save the actors-static under a new name, can I then do Gomel' and later add the Gomel' and Polotsk files together, name it actors.static and have it work?

Yes it's posible Mandrill, extract the actors and then merge text files (for example outBuildings) then create...If problems, post here, some people know...
Have fun Big Grin

The only issue is that I opened an actors.static file and found it was 90% encoded.

If I have to edit the several alternate actors.static files, it would be impossible with the text encoded.

Can I change the code to straight text?

mandrill7 Wrote:The only issue is that I opened an actors.static file and found it was 90% encoded.

If I have to edit the several alternate actors.static files, it would be impossible with the text encoded.

Can I change the code to straight text?

To encode the actors.static you need to have Zuti's Actors Management tool.
I don't know if it's still around here. If not I can upload it for you as the original mediafire link is invalid.
With this tool you can extract and create new actors. statics.

If you install either the 1gig or 4gig memory mod that gives extra memory access to either Il-2 or the map maker version, you can make and save actors of almost any size without the program crashing.

I´ve made actors up to 10mb in size without having to split a map into geographical parts and then recombining all the separate small actors into one final actors.

Mind, if you prefer to make smaller actors and combine then afterwards, then that is up to you of course. Every one uses whatever method works best for them.

agracier Wrote:If you install either the 1gig or 4gig memory mod that gives extra memory access to either Il-2 or the map maker version, you can make and save actors of almost any size without the program crashing.

I´ve made actors up to 10mb in size without having to split a map into geographical parts and then recombining all the separate small actors into one final actors.

Mind, if you prefer to make smaller actors and combine then afterwards, then that is up to you of course. Every one uses whatever method works best for them.
+1
kap

I've downloaded the program you suggest. How does it work?

mandrill7 Wrote:I've downloaded the program you suggest. How does it work?

First of all make a copy or several copies of your original il2fb.exe files (or whatever the startup files are called). Don´t forget TO MAKE A COPY. Just in case.

Then run the program as described in the readme.txt or notes ... The program will modify the exefile so that it can take advantage of more memory.

You won´t notice much when you startup Il2 map maker, EXCEPT that you will be able to open large sized static.actors files that are larger than 500-700k. You will be able to open all sized actors files, 3, 5 7 10mb sized files without the map maker crashing. And you will be able to save them as well.

On top of that, you will be able to open and close as many maps in sequence as you wish. With the old exe file, you could hopefully open one map, copy whatever you wanted to and open another map. And that would be it. Try to open another map again and wham - a crash. This mod prevents all that and lets you work in a more normal manner.

Good day,

This is fairly important for map makers, so I made this a Sticky Topic.

Fireskull Smile

This new exe really is a great help. Agracier told me about it a couple months ago and I'm so glad he did. It saved me a lot of headaches and trouble. The greatest thing is that it got me to working again populating my new map. I was frustrated with the old method but now things are a lot easier!

Is this .exe file compatible with 4.10?

mandrill7 Wrote:Is this .exe file compatible with 4.10?

Yes, apparently it is. I've applied to my copies of 4.10 and everything works fine.

Actually, this 4gig mem mod works with other Windows programs as well, not only with Il-2. I've applied it to my graphics editor which sometimes suffered issues when working on large sized files for maps ...

Just make sure that before applying the mod, you make a backup of the .exe you wish to mod. The mod automatically makes a backup when it runs the mem mod, but you can never be too sure about such things.

Thanks. Now I am transferred to a new computer and set up for 4.10, I will get back into map making in a few days. Big Grin

1 Gig .exe
http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/topic,1055.0.html

4 Gig .exe and more...
http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/topic,2630.0.html