NACA TESTING at www.flightsimtesting.com

Hey Gang

Well I finally got around to getting my website up and running

It is in the early stages but check it out if you have time and any feedback would be great

www.flightsimtesting.com

Right now I only have two tests posted, one new one (AIRCRAFT COMPARISON) and one old one from a few years back (ZOOM ANALYSIS)

Very interesting and useful work!Thank you Ace-of-aces! "ZOOM" graphs are most wanted! Proceed with other planes please!

Hi Ace,

great stuff as always, keep the good work going!

Best regards - Mike

Nice site Smile

The title is still microsoft word :wink:

Bob_Drugstore_Arp Wrote:Very interesting and useful work!Thank you
Your very welcome

Bob_Drugstore_Arp Wrote:Ace-of-aces! "ZOOM" graphs are most wanted! Proceed with other planes please!
The one's I am posting now are pretty old

Format is old too

The plan is to redo each test once 4.10 comes out so in the new format

So I am in kind of a holding patern right now, but I will upload the old tests for now just to get some feedback on them

Storebror Wrote:Hi Ace,

great stuff as always, keep the good work going!

Best regards - Mike
Thank you sir

That means alot comming from you! S!

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:Nice site Smile
Thanks!

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:The title is still microsoft word :wink:
Whoops!

Ok fixxed it thanks for the feedback

Bob_Drugstore_Arp Wrote:Very interesting and useful work!Thank you Ace-of-aces! "ZOOM" graphs are most wanted! Proceed with other planes please!
Uploaded more ZOOM tests..

And their associated SEPARATION tests..

Where I use the P47 as the baseline comparison in each separation test, the idea being you can get a feel for how well a plane zooms 'relative' to the P47 baseline

This is how they got a feel for E retention prior to Ps analysis that didn't get real popular until after the war.

Also note these tests are in my old format, after 4.10 comes out I plane on redoing these tests and putting them into the new format

Excellent work Ace!
I wonder how the total energy of a zoom maneuvre compares to the same total energy when turning.
For instance, I remember the FW-190D9-late horribly bleeding energy during turns, but as for the graphs it gains tE during zoom (I know it should be constant, so we're basically talking about FM "mistakes" (@edit: Forget this part, thx to ACE_OF_ACES for opening my eyes regarding this misunderstanding)).
Now from an aerodynamical point of view, I'd tend to think that when an A/C has low drag (i.e. Cw and induced drag are low), and the wing load is reasonable low as well, it should be both a good turner and zoomer, but obviously that's different in RL, where we have good zoomers and good turners, but seldom both in one plane.

Any ideas to explain this a bit more detailed for those technical addicted?

Best regards - Mike

In a sustained (read static) turn TE should remain constant

In that PE should remain constant in that the definition of a sustained turn is the altitude does not change while turning, an equilibrium of sorts with regards to the lift of the wings and the elevator deflection at the current bank angle are such that they cancel out gravity. And KE should remain constant too, an equilibrium of sorts where the thrust and drag of the elevator deflection at the current bank angle cancel out drag to maintain a constant speed.

Where it gets interesting is in a instantaneous turn (read dynamic) where TE does not remain constant. high wing loaded planes can make quick initial/instantaneous turns due to the small wing area, but they than have poor sustained turns due to the small wing area.

With regards to the in-game Fw190 that has a the best of both worlds (a wing loading that is not too high or too low) is kind of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, in that it's wing loading is 'high' enough such that it will allow a pilot to do a quick initial/instantaneous turn which in turn (pun intended) bleeds off a lot of energy due to generating high values of AoA and thus drag. But the wing loading is also 'low' enough to give it a decent sustained turn.

Thus the problem with the Fw190 bleeding speed is not the Fw190 but the pilot

In that the pilot makes use of the good initial/instantaneous turn to make the initial turn but does not ease off the stick to take advantage of the sustained turn capabilities.

Long story short the pilot keeps pulling thinking they can maintain that initial/instantaneous turn rate, which is just not the case, sooner or later you use up your energy (read bleed out).

Thus the good initial/instantaneous turn capabilities should only be used in short burst to line up a shot or to evade one Wink

ACE-OF-ACES Wrote:Hey Gang

Well I finally got around to getting my website up and running

It is in the early stages but check it out if you have time and any feedback would be great

http://www.flightsimtesting.com

Right now I only have two tests posted, one new one (AIRCRAFT COMPARISON) and one old one from a few years back (ZOOM ANALYSIS)

This should get a Sticky Topic status.

Fireskull