Convert Suribachi to Flak Tower

This is my first major try at modding of objects so please bear with me. I have extracted Mt. Suribachi and the Flak881 emplacement from the .sfs files. While I do not have 3ds I have neem able to open both objects meshes in Wings3d.
The problem I am having is trying to find the property in the Suribachi mesh that allows for artillery to be placed upon it. I was thinking it may be the mesh material but they appear to be the same. Again please bear with me as this is the first time I have worked with 3D objects outside of AutoCAD.

Thanks

Anyone out there with possible suggestions?

Can you show a few screen shots on what you are trying
To do so we can get a better idea on how we might be
Able to help you.

Deutschmark

Let me get this straight... your converting Mount Suribachi into a flack tower?

Planemad

Maybe not the best subject line.

What I wanted to do was find what properties Mt. Suribachi had and then convert the existing Flak88 emplacement to contain these properties. Basically so artillery could be placed on top of the emplacement. If this worked then I would try and create some Flak towers from scratch.

Maybe as a 3d noob I should pick an easier project.

I agree it is not the best subject line.

You can create flak towers from scratch as like a AA gun just a
Different look to the 3D model, I have never done it so am not
Sure what would go into making a AA gun work in IL2, but I have
Seen others that have made different tanks and AA guns that take
The place of others in IL2 and they do adjust the weapons on them.

Deutschmark

I was trying to avoid making a new artillery object as it seems a little much for a first try in 3d modelling inside il-2. I was hoping for a relatively simple modification of some parameters to make the existing flak 88 emplacement behave like Mt. Suribachi and then maybe taking that experience and applying it to some basic shapes that make up flakturms. This way anyone can place artillery on the object.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Do you want some pictures of Flack Towers to aid you?

Planemad

The secret is in the static.ini file. You need to use the word "Mountain" instead of "House", like this -

[buildings.Mountain$Suribachi]
Title Suribachi
Mesh 3do/Buildings/Mountain/Suribachi/live.sim

I made a crude Flak Tower to see if it was possible but as you can see in the picture below I've had a lot of trouble getting the shadow to appear. There are also many other strange problems to do with making objects smaller than a mountain which I don't understand yet.

[Image: flaktower.jpg]

Your Flack Tower looks very good kevinp, shame about the shadow though,

Can we download it anywhere?

Planemad

That Flak Turm reminds me of an old unfinished project:

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...flak+tower

Planemad Wrote:Your Flack Tower looks very good kevinp, shame about the shadow though,

Can we download it anywhere?

Planemad

It's just a test model, very badly made. I would never release it.

Thanks anyway kevinp

Planemad

So the bunkers with large roof and a place for a flak can be converted into flak towers by changing the word to "mountain" in static.ini?

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:So the bunkers with large roof and a place for a flak can be converted into flak towers by changing the word to "mountain" in static.ini?

Yes & no.

It doesn't work with complicated shapes. Symmetrical objects are also a problem. I am still experimenting to find the limitations.

I'm not interested in Flak Towers but TurkeyDriver's post has made me excited about the possibility of making my own working bridges. I'm working on a railway viaduct at the moment.

[Image: viaduct1.jpg]