Spitfire 4.10m FM vs 4.09m FM

In patch 4.10 they revised the FM's for the Spitfires. They have less torque but need much more elevator trim. When i fly handsoff, the Spit just wants to climb, even with elevator trimmed neutral. That was not the case in 4.09m, the FM seems more stable in 4.09m.

How are your impressions with the new FM for the Spitfires in 4.10m?

Hawker17 Wrote:In patch 4.10 they revised the FM's for the Spitfires. They have less torque but need much more elevator trim. When i fly handsoff, the Spit just wants to climb, even with elevator trimmed neutral. That was not the case in 4.09m, the FM seems more stable in 4.09m.

It happens the same thing with me. I don't like its new FM.

I've noticed it and I kind of like it,

But I'm still 4.09 + Ultra@Pack user and I'm going to wait until UP works with 4.10 as I do't like the lack of planes, nor the smoke and fire effects.

Planemad

Hawker17 Wrote:In patch 4.10 they revised the FM's for the Spitfires. They have less torque but need much more elevator trim. When i fly handsoff, the Spit just wants to climb, even with elevator trimmed neutral. That was not the case in 4.09m, the FM seems more stable in 4.09m.

Hi Hawker

I was sick over most of the holidays, and I just installed 4.10 as of yesterday, so I have not had a chance to look at any plane in any real detail. I did see some folks in HyperLobby saying the new Spits have been nerfed, which I hope is not the case in that the in game Spits (even the 25lb) were far more accurate than the Bf109Ks. So if they nerfed the Spits that will give the 109Ks an even bigger unrealistic advantage than they had in 4.09

I don't fly online, so i can't compare to 109K. But i do fly Spits, most of the time and all i noticed is that the new FM is less stable than 4.09m. Even with good trimming the Spit doesn't fly realistic (in my opinion).

So at this point i'm definately sticking to my 4.09 UP install.

I hope more Spitfire fans will compare the FM's and give their opinions.

- Ace-of-Aces happy new year to you and good health!

Hi friends,

I'm not sure which Spitfire models we're talking about precisely.
I just took the FM data of the VB modes and compared the stock 4.09m and stock 4.10m versions.
A lot of parameters changed, and at a first glance they changed to the correct values now.
For instance, compare these values between stock 4.09m, 4.10m and RL values
(RL data from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarin ... e_Mk_Vb.29)

Code:
4.09m   4.10m     RL

Wingspan     9.74   11.23    11.23
Length       8.6     9.12     9.12
Empty     2427.0  2467.0   2309
TakeOff   2960.0  2955     3000
Wing        21.8    22.48    22.48

Best regards - Mike

Thanks for comparing these data, that way it seems more realistic. But try the new Spitfire (Mk Vb) for yourself. It needs trimming all the time, it's one nervous aircraft right now. :wink:

I guess there are not a lot of Spitfire fans here? It really is a noticeable difference since FM 4.09m. I really don't see why they changed the FM's for Spits and didn't change it for the other aircraft.

I must admit that I'm not a Spit fan. Planes I like tend to have more than one engine, and if they only have one, they should be big enough for the pilot to hide in the fuselage :mrgreen:
Nevertheless I did fly the Spit occasionally both off- and online and generally found it to be overdone.
Yes, the 4.09m had reasonable snappy stall characteristics, but everything else was just too easy to be true.
The Spit FM as of 4.09m doesn't seem to bleed energy in tight turns unless you're closing in to it's stall speed. Additionally, trimming the Spit with 4.09m FM was a piece of cake where it shouldn't. According to Boscombe Down handling evaluation the Spit V's trimming tab caused buffeting, distortion etc. at various speeds, read here: http://www.spitfireperformance.com/aa873.html

Compared to the troubles 109 or 190 jockeys are facing in dogfights with Spits in IL-2 (massive energy bleed in tight turns, extremely heavy controls at high speed in 109 etc.), the trim issue for the Spit jockeys should matter the least and I "feel" (yes, it's just a personal feeling) that it's right to be a tad harder to trim the Spit.

Best regards - Mike

Thanks for your info about this matter. I will try to get used to this new FM. However, real pilots always say how easy and stable the Spitfire flew. Well, i guess they changed the BF109 E-4 with the Mk Vb right now. :wink:

For i'm only an offliner, i will always have my good old 4.09 modded install. Big Grin

I guess there will be alternative FM sets (i.e. buttons files) available soon, so just stay patient and wait for your favourite FM to pop up :wink:

Best regards - Mike

Ok Storebror, you calmed me down... :wink: I will keep faith in 4.10m as there will be flyable Spitfire again. Big Grin

Thanks for your help.

For some reason, some of the Spitfires (what was flyable in 4.09) is not flyable for me @_@
I can choose it in QMB, but I can't control it. Why? D:

It would be a good idea to enlist the Spit versions you're talking about, Dinosbacsi.
Additionally it would give us an even better idea if we could get to know whether or not your game is modded, and if so, which mods are installed.

Thanks and best regards - Mike

I don't tried all teh Spitfires yet, but I can't control the Mk.IXc 25lbs, the Mk. IXc and the Mk. IXe. :'(
I can choose them in the QMB menu, but I can't switch to the cockpit, and I can't control them.

Hawker17 Wrote:Thanks for comparing these data, that way it seems more realistic. But try the new Spitfire (Mk Vb) for yourself. It needs trimming all the time, it's one nervous aircraft right now. :wink:

I guess there are not a lot of Spitfire fans here?

Long time lurker, first time poster but I have to say my own respects about this matter. Long story short: I always hated Spitfire as an aircraft prior 4.10, even though I never underestimated it if I were against it. Since 4.10 I've actually started to like the aircraft more which is paradoxic to say the least.

I'd still rather pick up Hurricane or Tempest over Spitfire if possible, but those odd occasions I like to try the Spit I usually like to fly it around more than I used to. It encouraged me to spend some time with Seafire and few other Spitfire models in QMB and they're quite pleasant to fly after a while for the sake of additional variety if nothing else.