How to remove forests?

Hi!

I would like to reduce forest covered areas in some maps in order to get a better playability.
What is the real purpose of "forest=x" lines in the conf. list? I've tryed several settings (0, 1, 2, 3, etc.) whith no visible changes...
Maybe someone could give me some hints! Big Grin

Many Thanks!

-S!-

Right here just a few posts up from yours; :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=31205

Deutschmark

Oscarito Wrote:Hi!

I would like to reduce forest covered areas in some maps in order to get a better playability.
What is the real purpose of "forest=x" lines in the conf. list? I've tryed several settings (0, 1, 2, 3, etc.) whith no visible changes...
Maybe someone could give me some hints! Big Grin

Many Thanks!

-S!-
You have to edit map_T.tga file for your desired map or maps, the area in map_T which indecates woods has RGB value
17,17,17 you can edit these area in your photo editing program and reduce it as you want.
search for help in map sektion.
You have to use sfs extractor to extract map_T files or other files from .sfs file which hase the word maps in it like
fb_maps01.SFS to fb_maps06.SFS and ...you have about 18 sfs map files in your rot directory of il2 1946.

The RGB value that creates a forested area on map_t.tga is RGB 24.

With most graphics editors you can change the value by either selecting with a magic wand tool, or by painting with a paint brush tool.

However, you do have to be aware that if you wish to remove woods, the terrain will needs be have to be replaced with another type f terrain. Since map_t.tga is not a layered file, but contains only one single layer, if you replace even a single pixel of RGB 24, you will have to replace it with another working RGB value, be it from RGB 0 up to or including RGB 23 ...

And which value you choose, will depend on which texture you wish to see appear in the place. For that you will to get a good idea of which textures are in the map's load.ini. And often enough, you may have to use several textures to replace forests on a map.

And not to be finicky, but RGB 17 is normally called the city1 slot in a load.ini file. You can of course assign any texture at all that you wish to any slot, so RGB 17 need not be a city texture at all. But, RGB 24 is the only RGB value/slot that will generate the 3D trees that are created from the 5 texture set of [WOOD] textures

[WOOD]
Wood0 = forest/summer/sk_Wood0.tga
Wood1 = forest/summer/sk_Wood1.tga
Wood2 = forest/summer/sk_Wood2.tga
Wood3 = forest/summer/sk_Wood3.tga
Wood4 = forest/summer/sk_Wood4.tga

The lines in your conf.ini, pertain to the randomly generated trees that appear on your map. These are not RGB 24 trees, but other trees and small trees that seem to pop up at random places. By changing the number in your conf.ini file, you can adjust the density of these randomly generated trees.

Thank you fellows!

I've read about "Lumber Jack" but as far as I understood it would remove just those isolated trees at river banks and everywhere. I like these trees( Big Grin ). I guess the ideas from Stuka_40 and Agracier is what I have in mind. Don't know anything about maps business but I will try...

-S!-