Spendy and ultimate PC!

Hi!

Just to remind, I am not buying a new computer until the one I have now stops working, then I have a really good reason to buy a new one Smile

I've been looking for a new PC, mainly because I am frustrated with the low FPS of my FSX.
So far I've seen that the most suitable pc would be this:

ASUS P7P55D Mobo
Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Transcend JetRam JM1333KLN-8GK 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1333MHz DDR3
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz LGA1155 LGA1155 (propably overclocked to 4ghz or so)
Corsair CX600W
NZXT Lexa aluminium ATX-case
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Samsung SH-S223L/BEBE 22x DVD+/-RW

That is about 1000€ (about 900€ after edit :roll: ) in Finland, I've seen many shops and all of them have the same prices.
If I ordered them from abroad they would cost just as much as these because VAT is 23% and then there is the toll.

Any thoughts?
With same setup except the GFX card being nVidia GTX 570 it runs FSX maxed out settings at about 40-60 FPS average.

EDIT: I just checked a thread on another forum, I could save about 80€ from RAM and about 50€ from case. Cool.

EDIT:
New plan:
1TB Caviar Blue, SATA III, 7200RPM, 32MB 63.00€
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/HDMI/2xMiniDP, PCI-E 269.00€
CoolerMaster Gladiator 600 ATX-case 68.00€
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz LGA1155 289.00€
650W 650AX, ATX2.31-virtalähde, 80+ Gold 129.00€
2x 4GB, DDR3 1333MHz, CL9 23.00€ each = 46.00€
Z68 Pro3, LGA1155, Intel Z68, DDR3, ATX 107.00€
Samsung SH-222AB/BEBE, DVD±RW 22X DL 23.00€

Total: 994,00 €

With
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1280MB GDDR5, 2XDVI-I/DP/HDMI 299.00€

Total: 1024.00 €

or

Two GTX 560 DirectCU, 1GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/MiniHDMI, PCI-E with SLI 169.00 each=338.00€

Total: 1063.00 €

EDIT: Updated prices on new plan and changed some of the part.

I think that prices are very similar in most places , in Spain VAT is 18%. :roll:
Would not it be better a Corsair 750W?
i7 2600K is very good and nVidia GTX 570 is wonderful. :o Big Grin

Well you certainly want maxed out graphics and good fps don't you :Smile)

I've googled your products and well £1000 / euros more or less seams fair.

Planemad

Corsair 750w sounds good, but the one I have selected is cheap, reliable and has 7 year warranty.

Oh, wrong area, shouldn't be in the IL-2 tech support...

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:Corsair 750w sounds good, but the one I have selected is cheap, reliable and has 7 year warranty.

Oh, wrong area, shouldn't be in the IL-2 tech support...

Moved to PC Technical Help.

Planemad

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:Hi!

Just to remind, I am not buying a new computer until the one I have now stops working, then I have a really good reason to buy a new one Smile

I've been looking for a new PC, mainly because I am frustrated with the low FPS of my FSX.
So far I've seen that the most suitable pc would be this:

ASUS P7P55D Mobo
Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Transcend JetRam JM1333KLN-8GK 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1333MHz DDR3
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz LGA1155 LGA1155 (propably overclocked to 4ghz or so)
Corsair CX600W
NZXT Lexa aluminium ATX-case
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Samsung SH-S223L/BEBE 22x DVD+/-RW

That is about 1000€ (about 900€ after edit :roll: ) in Finland, I've seen many shops and all of them have the same prices.
If I ordered them from abroad they would cost just as much as these because VAT is 23% and then there is the toll.

Any thoughts?
With same setup except the GFX card being nVidia GTX 570 it runs FSX maxed out settings at about 40-60 FPS average.

EDIT: I just checked a thread on another forum, I could save about 80€ from RAM and about 50€ from case. Cool.

It's a nice system, but definitely swap the ATI for an Nvidia card.
You'll be much happier in the long run and the 5 series will be coming down within the next 4-6mos.

As far as ram, don't be drawn in by names. Ram is Ram.
Just make sure when you buy it, you get all the ram you want at the same time from the same place.
This ensures that you will most likely get ram from the same lot # and have the same CAS/Latency.
When you get your ram, you'll want to add some heat sinks to them. Don't worry about getting ram with heat sinks already installed unless you can get them fairly cheap.

All in all you shouldn't be paying more than $25.00-$30.00/gb for ram. (Not sure what that is in Euros).

You can save a bundle if you use and AMD CPU and MB. On average you can get the top of the line AMD CPU w/ MB for less than the price of an Intel i7.

Your H/D is a bit slow for today's rigs. I'd look for one with SATA 6 instead of SATA 3.
I have 2 WD 1tb SATA 6 drives that were only $75.00 US ea.

Power Supply.
Don't use the Corsair, it has been getting terrible reviews and is prone to capacitor failure.
You'll be much happier if you pony up the extra money and get an 850w - 1000w PSU.
This will ensure that you not only have the power you need now, but if you ever decide to go SLI, you'll be able to.

Last thing is the case.
You'd be much better off with something a bit more functional especially in the cooling relm.
I'd go with the Coolmaster CM-690. It's much more functional than the one you're looking at and about $30.00 less.

S!

Thank you for the info, Jinxx!

The Nvidia card adds about 100€ to to price, but I can save that from the RAM and other parts.
After I have destroyed 3 nvidia cards I've thought that ATI might be a bit more reliable, but it may just have been the specific mobile geforce model.

I haven't seen any AMD bundles around and the i7 seems to be the best choise for games and specifically FSX.
I've watched some benchmarks and intel processors look like they're better for demanding games.
This model is also easily overclocked and it lowers the clocks in idle.

I found some DDR3 ram which was 16€/2Gb, that is about 40$ for 4Gb.

For the HDD all I did to just look at the RPM of it, I have had 5200rpm drives which are quite slow in loading and saving stuff.
I added a SSD drive there too, but I think 150$ is a bit too much for fast 64gigs.

What PSU would you recommend for such beast?

The case you pointed out looks to fit my needs better than the one I had on the list, thanks!

Cheers

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:Thank you for the info, Jinxx!

The Nvidia card adds about 100€ to to price, but I can save that from the RAM and other parts.
After I have destroyed 3 nvidia cards I've thought that ATI might be a bit more reliable, but it may just have been the specific mobile geforce model.

I haven't seen any AMD bundles around and the i7 seems to be the best choise for games and specifically FSX.
I've watched some benchmarks and intel processors look like they're better for demanding games.
This model is also easily overclocked and it lowers the clocks in idle.

I found some DDR3 ram which was 16€/2Gb, that is about 40$ for 4Gb.

For the HDD all I did to just look at the RPM of it, I have had 5200rpm drives which are quite slow in loading and saving stuff.
I added a SSD drive there too, but I think 150$ is a bit too much for fast 64gigs.

What PSU would you recommend for such beast?

The case you pointed out looks to fit my needs better than the one I had on the list, thanks!

Cheers

I wouldn't worry about over-clocking at all. I'm a firm believer that if you can't do it with pure horsepower, you shouldn't be doing it.
Prices for AMD CPU's are so low that you don't need to over-clock to get the best. Look at the AMD 1100T x6 core.
Unlike Intel, AMD is a 'True' multi core processor. There are plenty of 'Bundles' out there, but for max performance I'd go with the 1100T ($229.00) and ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard ($139.00).
Total cost is about $350.00, about the same price as an Intel i7 chip by itself.

The WD 1tb drives I'm now using are SATA 6 @ 7200rpm. They'll give just about any drive a run for their money and at $75.00/ea are a much better overall value.
SSD's will continue to get bigger and cheaper in the coming months though. Just like H/D's were back in the early 90's. I still remember when a 20mb H/D was right around $500.00 and that was considered the end-all be-all H/D of the day.

I'm currently using the Kingwin Mach-1 1200w modular PSU. Mainly because I'm running 2 GTX-295's in SLI.
As I said, your PSU needs will depend on what you eventually want to do. If 1 GPU is fine for you go with an 850w, right around $60.00.
If your eventual goal is to run SLI/Crossfire, then go with at least a 1000w PSU (ESPECIALLY if you're going to use SLI. Nvidia cards are VERY power hungry).

Incidentally, the Cool Master CM-690 is setup for liquid cooling if you should be so inclined.
Although I don't like liquid cooling.
Liquid + electricity = Bad Juujuu.

S!

How about the usage of electricity with a powerful PC?
I've only used laptops for a while and they aren't very power hungy.

I think I'll stick with one GPU for now.

Ask about those parts here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/

They probably have a few members that have tried them.

IMO, get a Nvidia card. I would also recomend not using intel parts. Highly expensive and very hot to the touch. AMD FTW! AMD won teh war with its 50 cals.

I still am with intel on this one,

"We saw some terrific performance from the Core i7-2600K in our basic performance tests, including a 12,088 overall score in Geekbench that ranks as the highest in this price class. (The six-core AMD Phenom II X6 1100T earned 9,488.) The same was true of our 1GB TrueCrypt 7.0 encryption test, with the Core i7-2600K taking the prize with a best-in-class speed of 195 MBps."

"Things started to look impressive with Cinebench R11.5 rendering test, where the 2600K earned 6.86 points—the highest we've seen for any CPU within this general price class. Likewise, a round with Futuremark's PCMark Vantage full-system benchmarking app produced results of 5,905 in the Memories (photo editing) test and 6,280 in TV and Movies—again, the highest we've seen in both categories."

The only thing people hate about it is the onboard graphics card. I will get a "real" one so that's not a problem.

But hey! i7 2600k uses LGA1155 and the mobo only supports LGA1156...

How about this?
Asus P8H67-M B3 Intel H67 LGA1155
* CPU support: LGA1155 Intel Core i7/i5/i3
* RAM support: 4 x DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz, maks. 32 GB
* chipset: Intel H67
* expansion slots: 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (1x16) + 1 x PCIe x16 (maks. x4), 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 x PCI
* HDD support: 2 x SATA 6 GB/s, 4 x SATA 3 Gb/s, PATA 133
* LAN: Gigabit
* Audio: ALC 887 8 ch HD-audio
* FireWire: 2
* USB: 14 x USB 2.0

I am counting the pricec with this one.

Updated the first post...

Looks much better.

I'd still stick with Nvidia though.

S!

3 things:

WD Caviar Blue