Loving Histomod 4.0!

I've been chin deep in the Histomod 4.0 for UP 2.01 for around a week now, and after sorting out the difficulties that I had--all of them the result of my long hiatus from playing IL-2 and my resultant unfamiliarity with how the new modded setups work, none of them resulting from the mod itself--I am ready to rave about this mod at length. Consider this a shameless plug and an enticement to anyone who hasn't tried it to download it and play it.

First, thanks to all of the guys at the Histomod forums ( http://histomodforum.forumactif.net/ ) for their patience in helping a non-French language speaker to get the mod into working order. Whether my questions and requests for help were in GoogleFrench, or just plain old English, those guys have been uniformly helpful, informative, and generous. LeBig in particular.

My take on the mod in general: I love the new dimension of realism that has been added in the aircraft systems that can be (must be) controlled by the player. Big things like much more realistic engine starts and smaller lovely details like the necessity of unstrapping your harness before ejecting from the cockpit, manually putting on your O2 mask, arming the weapons and turning on the reflector sight. I don't want to forget the realistic implementation of WEP--it only lasts about 5 minutes now, just as in reality. I always hated the unrealistic infinite WEP in the old IL-2. What a treat to now have to be intelligent and conservative in using this essential asset.

It will take me a long time to become familiar with all of the enhancements to the game (and I know that the Histomod team has benefited from the work of the IL-2 modding community as a whole in creating this grand mod) but so much is truly spectacular at first glance. New, historically accurate load-outs for the planes, old and new; improved (I think) FMs for the planes; an entire new War to fight in the Korean theater with enough variety to make it engrossing, beautiful maps, fantastic planes and stunning cockpits. There is almost nothing in this mod that does not widen the eyes when first encountered. The sounds, the models, the terrain, the weapon systems, the whole thing is absolutely wonderful, and it is free. Attack an enemy armored position with an A-1 Skyraider loaded to the gills with napalm, Zuni rockets, MK 82 bombs, and cannon and when your ammo is gone, if you can shoot at all, you will leave behind a new vision of destruction! Large portions of towns shrouded in smoke and lit by burning vehicles and buildings (visible from more realistic distances), lines of wrecked trucks and tanks, sending plumes of black smoke into the sky...this is a far more realistic picture of what war looks like, and what modern war machines can do. The folders in the mod all have the name Korea in them, but this mod is not merely a Korean war mod--it vastly improves the play and appearance of the WWII era game as well.

The only feature I found a tad underwhelming in the mod was the Effects. They seemed just a little bland compared to the HG & P effects, for example. But after some tweaking I was able to get the mod to use all of the effects from the HG&P Plutonium mod (just disabled all of the "file" files, like 00B509F2DD168B52 in the Plutonium Mod and installed the remaining folders directly into MODS), and now it is all just...fantastic.

Notes on my setup and some advice for the unenlightened....

I have a pretty mediocre system--

Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Dell Inc. Inspiron 530s
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

But since I have this mod installed correctly, it runs at pretty much the highest settings without game-breaking stutters or low frame-rates, including all of Freddy's fantastic cockpits. I would be happy to provide a copy of my config.ini to anyone with a comparable system who is having performance issues. Word to the wise--if the game plays like crap, it might not be because your system is all that inadequate. Make sure you have the game configured right, and make sure that you have the game running as smoothly and error free as possible. If you have trouble with a downloaded campaign, look at the missions in FMB and make sure there aren't glaring mistakes--like planes with vectors that are beyond the speed of the aircraft, or the inclusion of objects you don't have installed, etc. Defrag the game. Close unnecessary services using one of several free utilities, and in general keep your game and computer in top running order. This game needs major TLC to make it run its best. I have never had a slow-down, or any kind of trouble with Dead Space 2, or any of a dozen other relatively brand new games with awesome graphics; my computer runs them like like a champ. Il-2, however, requires work and maintenance to make it play well. But it's worth it.

As an aside, I had a small windfall of money recently, and this mod finally drove me to replace my disintegrating Saitek Evo (first generation, held together, literally, with Scotch tape) with a Saitek X45 flight stick and rudder I found on Amazon for $47--used, like new. Can't wait 'till that and my two GB of ram upgrade get here. So my mediocre system will soon be a much improved mediocre system. Maybe it will even play Cliffs of Dover. Though I have my doubts--the engine looks an awful lot like IL-2 Sturmovik, and with all of the new details...?

In conclusion: Histomod revamps and revitalizes the WWII Era IL-2, and it opens up a completely new Theatre of war with modern combat that feels authentic--which can only grow more detailed and immersive as the Histomod team continues their work. Who would have thought that IL-2 would be mod-able to that extent?

adieu

Salute

I have cleaned up this thread with respect for the Author and the HistoMod team this is a warning to those who posted on this topic you need to be advised that we try to give everyone their voice and respect their opinon. I will be watching those who posted here that I cleaned up and concider this your first warning keep it cival please.

Python
Global Moderator

And before I completely leave off and probably never post to this unfriendly, stilted, and sour forum again I would like to say that it has not been a pleasure being a part of this Board. The difference between AAS and the Histomod forum is stark. The French have been accused of being unfriendly, I would have to say if you take the contrast between the French Forum and this English one as your guide, the truth is opposite to the rumor.

Given the circumstances, I think my responses to Pig were the only appropriate ones , and, I think an earthy bit of light in this dismal place. Adieu.

Well nodlew its unfortunate that you judged the whole site by one encounter with one member.
I had made a promise to HistoMod team member lebig that we would moderate arguments
Here in this his HistoMod forum of the community forums of this site and that we are doing
Now in this thread, just look at all the other threads in this HistoMod forum not one are of
Arguments and I for one would like to keep the promise I have made to lebig.

Edit; and may I add that your first post that you made is a nice post and is
The kind of posts we like to see here at this site.

Deutschmark

yes that was my fault, I was not having the best of days

Well, then let by-gones be be by-gones. Perhaps my assessment is premature at that.

Since this post (yesterday) and irrespective of the ensuing brouhaha and completely unrelated in any way to the fine people of Bulgaria, I have made some more discoveries about Histomod which I will pass along to anyone else who becomes enamored of it as I have. I did not know--and much hassle resulted--that Histomod 4.0, although made to be installed over top of UP 2.01, is not mix and match compatible with other mods and missions that are made for UP 2.01. Histomod is programed using a different Java class--the aircraft which come with the mod are all built and programmed to respond to the game in a different way, which allows for all of the new controls, etc. So, it is inadvisable, for instance, to try to use histomod plane mods without the main Histomod (000_Korea) folder installed, and likewise, it is not advisable to try to use plane mods not made specifically for Histomod with the Histomod. As a result, most of the missions available for download will not work at all with Histomod, and the ones that work don't work very well. Histomod is mostly played on-line at the moment, and there is very little off-line content, although I understand that such is being worked on. I cannot play on-line, however, because I am stuck with a satellite internet connection living as I do in a rural area. LeBig has taught me a way around the problem, which requires a little work on the player's part, but I have found, once you do it a couple of times, it becomes more second nature.

You can't use UP 2.01 planes in Histomod, but there are Histomod equivalents, and more, for all of the UP 2.01 planes. In order to play a campaign built for UP 2.01, say, Gabby in Korea by Cracken, which I am playing now, with Histomod, you have to open the mission .mis files with notepad and replace the UP planes with their Histomod equivalents. For instance, the second Gabby mission, Gabby02.mis, the player's flight looks like this:

[8AF_004FG_0HQ00]
Planes 4
Skill0 1
Skill1 3
Skill2 1
Skill3 1
skin0 F-86A-5 49-1319 334TH FIS USAF.bmp
skin1 F-86Sabreeaglestone2.bmp
skin2 F-86A-5 49-1319 334TH FIS USAF.bmp
skin3 F-86A-5-NA 48-259 334th FIS.bmp
pilot0 Gabreski_USAAF.bmp
pilot1 Eagleston_USAAF.bmp
pilot2 Korea_US_01.bmp
pilot3 Korea_US_02.bmp
numberOn0 0
numberOn1 0
numberOn2 0
numberOn3 0
Class air.F_86A5
Fuel 100
weapons 2x207gal

The part in red is the part that needs attention. If you look in the 000_Korea folder, @ 000_Korea/Mods/STD/Com/maddox/il2/objects...in there you will find the air.ini. Open that with notepad and you can scroll to find the plane that is the match, or the equivalent of the F_86A5. In the Histomod air.ini that plane is the F-86A_Sabre, and its class is air.F86A. simply copy and paste air.F86A to where air.F_86A5 is in the mission. You have to do that with every plane in the mission. Some of the planes have the same names, Mig_15(bis) for example, but that is an exception. I believe it is necessary to do the same thing with the weapons loadouts, or at least to check to make sure that the histomod loadouts are the same syntax as the UP loadouts. I have found it difficult to open some missions in the FMB with Histomod installed, so my method of checking loadouts is to use the FMB to make a scratch mission, and place the planes in it that are required for the mission. Then assign those planes the proper loadouts and then close the game and check the .mis file for the scratch mission that you just made. If necessary, copy and paste the proper loadouts into your campaign or single mission you want to play.

I know this sounds labor intensive, and many will balk at it, perhaps even more so than learning to press a button to turn your magnetos on, and for those I say to thine own self be true. But as I said, this info is for those who like Histomod and want to play some missions for it. Until then, yours...

[Image: picture.php?pictureid=3733&albumid=360&d...11&thumb=1]

Since posting this last night I have been converting The Legend of Y-29 (version 3) for Histomod, and it turns out that it needs, so far, very little conversion at all. Version 3 is made for UP 2.01, so it turns out that the differences between the names of planes and the load-outs in Histomod 4.0 and UP 2.01 are not nearly as extensive as I'd gathered from my first attempts to convert a mission. And that's good news. But it is still necessary I think to check all of the plane names to make sure there is no problem. Or at least, if you have a problem, then you might know where to look to fix it now.

[Image: picture.php?pictureid=3735&albumid=360&d...98&thumb=1]

Some good info here for Histomod users.
Thank you. Smile

Deutschmark

Is there a simple way to download this mod? I've been to this great site several times , but my French is non-existant , so i don't get past registering & so have not had the opportunity of downloading any of their mods...Perhaps there is an English translation available from the site ( I haven't found it...but haven't looked that hard either) or the whole mos is available on a mirror somewhere?Can somebody give me a clue...many thanks!

Hi Dietz
As you can notice, AAS is kindly giving us a place in their forum .
If you check the link downstair, you will find the links for D/L the (big) read-me for this mod. At the end you will find the links for the folders!
One very important thing: read carefully this read-me!!!
In the other parts of this part of AAS forum, you will find the last updates, the way to install it without jsgme a.s.o.
Enjoy and no hesitation for questions, we are here to help all the gamers.

viewtopic.php?f=171&t=31262&p=348431#p348431

Dietz, you can download a document that has all of the download links for the various files in the mod, plus essential information about installing it and using here--http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0mi8ihu17r242s7. I do recommend that you join the Histomod forum and get to know those guys. Most, if not all, speak and write english very well. They have been indispensable to me in all things related to this mod. In addition, if you need any help from me, I will help you in any way that I can. One thing...the total download is pretty big, hope you have a cable internet connection. Use control+right mouse click to click the links in the .doc file that you download above and that will bring up the download. If you mean to play the game in English, which I am sure you do, you don't need to download http: 000_Coree_Zuti.7z (French game) or
000_Coree.7z (French game), but you will need everything else.

Hey LeBig--I was posting while you were posting, hence the double reply.

Nobags Nodlew, double is better than none!!!

nodlew Wrote:Dietz, you can download a document that has all of the download links for the various files in the mod, plus essential information about installing it and using here--http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0mi8ihu17r242s7. I do recommend that you join the Histomod forum and get to know those guys. Most, if not all, speak and write english very well. They have been indispensable to me in all things related to this mod. In addition, if you need any help from me, I will help you in any way that I can. One thing...the total download is pretty big, hope you have a cable internet connection. Use control+right mouse click to click the links in the .doc file that you download above and that will bring up the download. If you mean to play the game in English, which I am sure you do, you don't need to download http: 000_Coree_Zuti.7z (French game) or
000_Coree.7z (French game), but you will need everything else.
Hey LeBig--I was posting while you were posting, hence the double reply.

Many thanks I believe I can download same...But before I do I do have one important ( I think) question: does this require a more or less fresh 4.10m install?The one I am using now is getting more & more modded & I 've just installed the new 1956 jet package from SAS...is there a conflict that I will have to worry about? I also have a heavily modded 4.09m UPinstall with many of the jets featured in this superb add-on... :roll:

Take care Dietz:Histo is only 4.09, not 4.101!
According to me the best way is to have a fresh install of 4.09+UP2.01 and to add the folders in the jsgmemods.
Too much class files are not compatible with other mods' class, . To let other mods active with Histo, you take some chances to get a crash!
In fact in histo you have (quietly) all. Try it!
keep us up if troubles.

Hey Dietz,

The mod is advertised as for installation with 4.09m, with UP 2.01. I do not believe it will work with 4.10m. I didn't think mods worked with 4.10m? Anyway, to be safe I would recommend a fresh install of IL-2 patched to 4.09m, with UP 2.01 installed. That way, there will be no questions. Like I said, hope you have DSL. After that, download the files from the links in the Histomod .doc, all but the two I mentioned, and place them in your jsgmemods folder which will be created by UltraPack. When you enable HIstomod, install all of the 001_ folders first, then the rest of them saving the 000_Korea folder and the 000_Korea_Zuti folders last. I am not entirely sure what the 000_Zuti folder is for, perhaps someone will enlighten me. I don't even have it enabled and Histomod works fine for me. That will enable Histomod. It is possible to use other mods with Histomod, I do so myself, but doing so can require some modifications of the added mods. I use FX_Revolution_1.0 effects with Histomod, for example, but only the textures and stuff, none of the "Files" because they will make Histomod crash. Still, I like the textures and effects better than stock, which I think is somewhat light in the effects category in order to facilitate Histo as an on-line game. Hope this is helpful.

Long live the free people of Bulgaria.

Hey, Big. Happened again. I'll be damned. (I really will be, no kidding, but that's another story)