Solved - Controlling auto-popping trees

Hello gents,

I've got a problem with the texturing of my map.
I read carefully the tutorial written by kevinp about textures creation, and tried to create one of my own and then to associate it with a "tree mask".
Here are the two files :

First, the texture itself (indexed mode in 1024x1024) ...

[Image: fw_Country3_fields.jpg]

... and the file for the trees (gray scale in 512x512).

[Image: fw_Country3_fields.tree.jpg]

According to the tutorial, I named them fw_Country3_fields.tga and fw_Country3_fields.tree.tga.

But when I placed the texture within the unlock FMB, I saw that :

[Image: in_fmb_view.jpg]

There are few trees, and not in the area defined in the mask file.

I guess I did something wrong during the process, but when ? Any idea please ?

I think your mask tga file must have the same size as your texture file (1024x1024)!and both must be in the same folder!

Ok, I reduced the size of my texture to 512x512 (as kevinp indicate in his tutorial that the size of the mask cannot exceed 512x512), but ... same as before: few trees, but not where they are supposed to be.
Anyway, a little help is better than no help at all.

Thank you Stuka :wink:

Check that the kilobyte size of the tree map is 256KB. If it's more than that it may have an Alpha channel which needs removing. Also remember that tree maps don't work if you apply the texture to the map with a different resolution than standard.

Cheers, Kevin

Tomcat_Zombie Wrote:Ok, I reduced the size of my texture to 512x512 (as kevinp indicate in his tutorial that the size of the mask cannot exceed 512x512), but ... same as before: few trees, but not where they are supposed to be.
Anyway, a little help is better than no help at all.

Thank you Stuka :wink:
You are welcome, as kevinp said the size is important as i see you named your textures as"fw_Country3_fields.tga andfw_Country3_fields.tree.tga"
but you have to move the word "fields" to the binging i.e you have to rename those like:

fields_fw_Country3.tga and fields_fw_Country3.tree.tga
test with 512x512 (1MB for texture) and 512x512 (256kb for your gray scale tree map texture) then you can experiment with 1024x1024.
good luck :wink:

Hi guys,

So, I started the conversion process form the beginning :
1 - Check the size of my original texture : 1024x1024
2 - Set it to indexed mode (Stuka, I supposed you mean to check preferably the size of the file instead of texture's resolution as it's impossible to have 1 Mb with 512x512) : 1 Mb
3 - Converted it to tga : still 1 Mb

Did the same with the tree texture :
1 - Reduced the size to 512x512
2 - Set to grey scale
3 - Checked the size : 256 Kb
4 - Checked there wasn't no alpha channel in it
5 - Named it accordingly to Stuka advice : putting "fields" in the beginning of its name

And ...

[Image: fw_trees_final.jpg]

... it finaly works !!!
I don't know where I did something wrong the first time, anyway it's now solved, thanx to you guys :wink: