Total noob. Just after new sounds. No idea how to start.

Hi guys,

Please excuse my ignorance, I have been 'modding' the MSFS series for years and I like to think I'm pretty apt at doing most things with that, but I feel like I need to learn a whole lot of new stuff to add things to IL-2. I have also read through most of the tutorials but a lot of them seem to assume you have some background knowledge of packages etc. that can be added. :-?

Having run a stock version of the game ever since the original IL-2 up until 1946 4.10.1 I've always been pretty happy, other than the sound does not suit my passion and taste for historical realism. :|

So, at present my only plan for modding is to add new sounds for each and every aircraft, not too bothered about effects, just the engines (Merlins, DB601's, Jumo's etc etc.) will be good enough for me to start. I am yet to find info on the best package that does this for 4.10.1m.

I had a go at beginning to mod a few months ago on another machine but gave up because it seems overly drawn out for just what I want to do.

So, if anyone doesn't mind taking the time, I really think I need a basic walk-through on exactly how to install just a sound mod. Nothing else. All the jargon taken out and just the best procedure to get what I want. If I have to mod anything else (minor things) to get the best sounds then so be it. I dont want any other mods except for new sounds at the moment. A pointer to a most appropriate guide would be appreciated.

I am after something like using the JSGME and something that wont affect the core of the game too much. I have a Dell 1545 (specs run FSX fairly smooth most of the time on medium-ish settings) running Windows 7 64bit.

I have heard of tigers sounds and soemthing like this would be ideal. Like I said a simple sound mod is all I'm interested in at the moment.

Hope it's not too much to ask guys! Smile

Many thanks in advance,

Michael.

Hi, Mike

I moved this to IL-2 Technical Help forum.

One way to get started is to type wav or .wav in the search box of the window in which you have the main IL-2 folder. Sound files should appear and give you the location as well. You will need to know this to get started.

Smile

Fireskull

Err, thanks Fireskull...

But aren't all the engine sounds packaged in srs files, hence the need to mod? Isn't that the point? :?:

Michael.

If you want to add sound mods or any other mods.
I would say get the SaS ModAct. Its small and easy to install.
It allows you to add 1 mod or 100's.
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/t ... 382.0.html

Thanks skyomish,

Is that easy to do? Is there a package I can get which will install it using JSGME?

Michael.

Every thing you need is in that ONE download.
JSGME is part of it.