Water in conf.ini wont save :(

Hi all,
updated my video card to a Radeon HD 6950 and thought I was set to go. But now when I change the value for water in my config file from 1 to 3, it saves until I run the game.when I exit the game, and go back to the config file, the water value =1 again. Am I missing somthing here? Thanks in advance for ANY replies.

XLO-JOKER............OUT.................

Right click on confiig.ini select properties, in file attribute mark( select) it as read only!

Thanks stuka_40! That seems to have done the trick.Glad to have guys like you hanging around in these forums.Your help is priceless.Smile

XLO-JOKER.........OUT................

I did that, but It's don't work anyway. I think it's because I'm on a laptop?
What about downloading water=4 from SAS to have good water on my laptop. I run the game very smooth, but the maximum setting in the game option is locked (grey).
I can't show you a picture, because I can't upload my picture now. Why don't put the picture directly in the forum?
When installing the game, I had an option with "(low)graphical" - equilibrate - (hig)performance and I clicked equilibrate. It can be that, but I don't found this setup.

nic1 Wrote:I did that, but It's don't work anyway. I think it's because I'm on a laptop?
What about downloading water=4 from SAS to have good water on my laptop. I run the game very smooth, but the maximum setting in the game option is locked (grey).
I can't show you a picture, because I can't upload my picture now. Why don't put the picture directly in the forum?
When installing the game, I had an option with "(low)graphical" - equilibrate - (hig)performance and I clicked equilibrate. It can be that, but I don't found this setup.

Hi, nic1

Different computer graphics cards might have different settings required in the conf.ini file of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 folder and the Set-Up user window settings must also be adjusted accordingly for things such as "Perfect Water".

I strongly recommend that you settle on some type of build of IL-2, do more reading, and after you get a little more experience then try to tackle the more advanced graphics and performance issues. Until then, I suggest setting your IL-2 and your graphics to something simple in configuration. Take things step by step. I hope that you wait a little while to tackle the advanced techniques.

Here is a guide of mine for optimizing IL-2 for your computer, but go easy! :wink: ...

IL-2 Guide for Computers, Benchmarking, Optimizing, Tweaking
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22314

Even the professionals come here to find things. 8)

Fireskull

I don't have a problem with my computer, it's just blocked. How to unlock locked graphic setting?

[Image: 54740761.png]

Hi,

My thread here covers how to do that on page 3, but it is in English.

IL-2 Guide for Computers, Benchmarking, Optimizing, Tweaking
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22314

Fireskull

thx very much, I will put this topic in my favorite. Big Grin

Ok, I think my laptop can't put the water at 3 or 4, because I tried all trick, but it did nothing.
I did "read only" too.

I will try to download water=4 from SAS.

I can run the game with OpenGl, but it make strange cloud. Like I said in a post before, my perfect detail is greyed in the Il2 options and when I change my conf.ini, it don't change the game. I put the conf. in read only.

[Image: 71574952.png]

I will try to download water=4 from SAS next week or in 2 weeks to have better water, because this 2D water = :-?

My conf.ini :

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=0
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=3
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

What I have to change? I try all, but I don't know what to do because it doesn't work.

My processor is a : Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2,40GHz, 2394Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logic...

Ok, I install the patch 4.09m and I have that:

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0
Water=1
Effects=1

It's normal?
It's just appear like that. :roll:

Hi, nic

You wrote in another thread that you are using DirectX because OpenGL won't work in your laptop.

DirectX only allows upto water=3 if you have NVIDIA graphics or water=2 if you have ATI/AMD graphics.

DirectX will not allow perfect water and will not allow a few other things to be at the best.

That is why you could not have "Maximal" setting available in the Setup window.

Only OpenGL will allow "Maximal" settings for graphics in IL-2.

For NVIDIA graphics, you can have a setting of water=3 for DirectX.

For ATI/AMD graphics, you can typically have a maximum setting of water=1 or water=2 for DirectX. Despite the lower setting, ATI/AMD graphics does it well.

NVIDIA and ATI/AMD render water graphics in the water= setting in different ways to give you the best that each has to offer.

I have seen some ways to work around these in other programs, but IL-2 will not bend.

There is a mod out there somewhere which allows a higher effects= setting, but I do not remember which one. You can try effects=2, but if performance is bad then you should use effects=1.

Fireskull

Il2 is designed to work with OpenGL!(Try to change to OpenGL) use il2_core.dll and il2_corep4.dll which are included!(if you use 4.09m). in your conf.ini under [Render_DirectX] section find HardwareShaders=0 and change it to HardwareShaders=1and Water=2 or 3 (deppending on your graphic card, ATI or NVIDIA see Fireskull's answer above)and make your conf.ini read only as you did and test the changes.for more and detailed information check this links first:
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...29&t=29185
you will get every parameter in conf.ini explained! some parameters setting is different depending on your graphic card (NVIDIA or ATI) if you configure conf.ini manually!
and then these too maybe you get some help.
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...t=conf.ini
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...ers#p96680
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...ers#p95805
if HardwareShaders=1 solved your problem make the same under [Render_OpenGL] section in your conf.ini too, and then change rendering with OpenGL may be your problem with clouds will be solved too! and you will use OpenGL as many others.

Where is rendering with openGl?

THX Smile

EDIT:

I try every combination and it's changed nothing to the game. I think my laptop is not make to run this game. Why some game can be in max. setting, but with shuttering (It's not arrive to me) and Il2 1946 can't be set at max because my laptop can run this mod?

Do you think it will be better if I download water=4 from Carmasters?

If yes, where to download this mods, because on SAS, it's just the video and not mods link.

Did you change to HardwareShaders=1? what was the effect? which graphic card does your laptop use? Rendering with OpenGl, means that you choose to run your game with DirectX or OpenGl, and i think you already know that, because you have pictures that shows that,anyhow( you run il2setup.exe and in driver tab you choose OpenGl as provider. Water=4 is only a set of edited textures!(it will not solve your problem now) if you manage to solve your problem then you can download and test it! link to water=4 at SAS:
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/to...0992d8113a
Direct link:
http://files.mail.ru/L1FM50