Forcing Crossfire in IL2

anyone know how to force crossfire to work in IL2? I have heard something about renaming the .exe to anotehr game or even a program to force it.

here is what i mean by renaming the exe file. This is from Tom's hardware forum.

"Hi. I have 2x4890 crossfire, driver 10.11 + newest catalyst game profiles. In some games ( New Vegas, Singularity,...) crossfire just doesn't work, one card is idle, so i get funny gameplay. so I rename the *.exe file of the game to Mafia2.exe, thus forcing crossfire. This works for me very nice.
Will I see different performance using different file name (ex. Metro2033, Crysis.exe...) ? Or is this trick only used to that the cards start working in crossfire ?"

well I found in Radeon pro where you can force a crossfire profile but it caused my game to crash.

Thanks for sharing your attempt. Would have been nice if it worked. Sad

Hi, Diablo

Games and simulations have parts of the program coded to be processed in things called threads, whether single chip or Crossfire. To make a program (IL-2 here) run with two GPUs in Crossfire mode, there must be coding in the sim for it to communicate with the Crossfire code, which simply is not supported in IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

A program expert might be able to make modification to IL-2 for supporting Crossfire, but that would be specific to the sim and no generic program could do it. It would be a huge mod project that might take years. By that time, we will probably all be flying other sims. If they knew that much about simulations, then they would likely want to create their own instead of tinkering with IL-2 at such high levels of expertise. Smile

Any website which claims to have a generic program which does that would seem to me to have malware or computer hacking (yours) in mind. I don't even visit the home page of such websites for that reason. :wink:

Fireskull

heyy Fireskull....yeah I understand what you're saying. It was worth the try. With Il2 I may not ahve needed it tho. It's running on jsut one card but I'm almost always stuck on 60 fps anyway.