Thread Closed

IL-2 Mods: Common Question of New Users

Good day, Smile

Here is one of the most basic, commonly asked and important questions...

Anonymous member wrote by PM to me:
Quote:Thank you

Another quick question, can you mix mods as ive seen some beat aircraft in one mod and then others in another mod but not together in the same one?

Hi,

There might be exceptions to any of this information, but here is the typical way it goes right now:

As to your question, that depends on what you mean by "mix". If you intend to ask about adding individual mods to your collection, then it relies on whether or not the mod is compatible with that one particular modding system as a base for your mods. For example, many mods designed for IL-2 patch 4.09 are not compatible with a modding system based on IL-2 patch 4.101, though some are compatible with both. IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 modding systems are generally based on a certain single IL-2 1946 patch, though individual mods may or may not be compatible across patches. (Caution: There is a variety of ways to add mods to IL-2 depending on the mod, though easy once you learn it. Some mods overwrite what was there previous, so always keep a copy of what you want to keep.)

In other words-generally speaking, modding systems do not mix and match, though some of the individual mods in those modding systems can be used in more than one system of modding-depending on the compatibility of the mod.

If you see a mod which you like, then check in the author's thread to see if he or she knows the mod's current compatibility with recent modding systems. Many modders start a thread on a new mod of theirs but later updates of the mod are simply rolled into a mod pack, with or without notice. Usually the modders are good about publishing any updates to notify the community. The better modders often make their mod available in different versions so as to be compatible with various modding systems.

If you still want to fly online or mod for offline, then please read my recommendation in the "IL-2 Newbie Guide". viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29314

I want you to have fun and make progress, so free to ask questions, though I might refer you to someone else if I my time is occupied.

Enjoy! Smile

Clinton (Fireskull)
Thread Closed