Canvas Knights News Update.

Just a quick note to say we are closing in on the final of the damage model and all physics that go along with it, its been one long winding road with the making of the full damage model for CK but we think you will be pleased with the end results, I would like to show you all one little thing we had to do wile doing the physics for the damage model, we had to recode the AAA flack guns to work more proper with the damage model, the first photo shows the new flack burst, the secede photo shows what will become of you if you get hit by a CK flack gun.
You might need to click on the photos to enlarge.

[Image: NFGA.jpg]
[Image: NFGB.jpg]

that's it for now, the long awaited video will be in the making once the CK beta testers have the new damage model update.

Deutschmark

Wow..that's really nice! I think it is very important to have a full damage model. Great work!

Marko

WOW !!

DM what a great news and nice update !!!

Congratulations for the hard work, and keep on the good work ;o)

Ted

Very cool!

I can hardly wait to experience it! Looks great! Big Grin

Fireskull

The longer the waiting, the greater the reward. Smile

Salute

Nice work looks great

Looking nice DM :Smile)

Thanks for the update :Smile)

Planemad

Looking good!

Why Canvas Knights?
Canvas is a very thick heavy material used for making covers for boats, lorries etc and for making tents. If you covered one of these aeroplanes with canvas it would never fly. Linen would have been a better word.

Yes, of course you're right. Linen with dope applied in was the most common technique for manufacturing planes employed at the beggining of 20th century. "Canvas" is just a manner of saying that. A kind of affectionate power of expression used by the pilots from that time when referring to their machines... :wink:

I agree. Canvas was used much in those days.

Canvas was a term commonly used in an era when so many things were made of canvas during WW1, including some of the items that pilots carried. I don't know how extensively pilots used canvas pants but they were used by some people. By the way, denim, which is the material for jeans, is closely related to canvas in structure and in those days denim material was sometimes called canvas.

There were canteens with canvas covering, canvas knapsacks, canvas rucksacks, canvas pants, canvas tents, canvas duffle bags, canvas tarps, canvas straps, canvas attaches, canvas hats, canvas shirts, canvas seats, canvas... canvas... canvas! Lots of canvas in those days. Big Grin

Clinton

And "Linen Knights" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as "Canvas Knights" does either Smile

Fireskull Wrote:I agree. Canvas was used much in those days.

Canvas was a term commonly used in an era when so many things were made of canvas during WW1, including some of the items that pilots carried. I don't know how extensively pilots used canvas pants but they were used by some people. By the way, denim, which is the material for jeans, is closely related to canvas in structure and in those days denim material was sometimes called canvas.

There were canteens with canvas covering, canvas knapsacks, canvas rucksacks, canvas pants, canvas tents, canvas duffle bags, canvas tarps, canvas straps, canvas attaches, canvas hats, canvas shirts, canvas seats, canvas... canvas... canvas! Lots of canvas in those days. Big Grin

Clinton

Sure lots of stuff was made with canvas.... It still is. Not aeroplanes though.
Where is the evidence that aircraft covering was referred to as Canvas in those days? I doubt it.

Dogtail2 Wrote:
Fireskull Wrote:I agree. Canvas was used much in those days.

Clinton

Sure lots of stuff was made with canvas.... It still is. Not aeroplanes though.
Where is the evidence that aircraft covering was referred to as Canvas in those days? I doubt it.
You really need to find an older J-3 or a PA-18 and check the covering on it.
Canvas and dope.

This very interesting movie from Bomberguy channel shows a plane factory circa 1910. The manufacturing techniques depicted in it remained basically the same througout WWI period. First practical experimentations on metal skining began only at the end of war. At about 1:20 we can see some skilled workers dealing with cloth covering for wings and control surfaces.
:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZ1EIs4ohE