Sloped runways

I've been inspired by courchevel a long while back and now I'd like to try it again. I was pondering the idea of a sloped runway in Il2 but my main problem is that when you go over a "slope" in Il2 you get flipped unless either you are in a non tail dragger or the slope is very gentle. Uzin made an attempt to accomplish this in this post: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=31611&p=351658&hilit=courchevel#p351658 I managed to get the most successful result using runway plates (unavailable now but will be introduced in 4.12m! Big Grin ) to make the ground smoother and lessen the flip glitch that occurs. Heavy/medium aircraft worked best for this. Keep in mind I'm doing all of this in the FMB and nothing more. I'm no map modder or any modder for that matter. Tongue Feel free to give it a try guys! Good luck!

camm 8)

Screenies of real life altiports as they're called:
(so its a technically realistic request!)
Courchevel: [Image: Courchevel%20-%20Fabrice%20Sanchez.JPG]
Lukla: [Image: Lukla_Airport_April_2010.JPG]
Alpe d'huez: [Image: Altiport_Henri_Giraud_Alpe_d_Huez_LFHU_big.jpg]

Sweet.. I don't think I've ever seen an airstrip that isn't level, unless perhaps a carrier counts.
Nice share, thanks. Would like to check it out in IL2 aswell.

Hi Camm,

Nice share, I found a cool video at Lukla : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37NX0

Have a look ;o)

Ted

Hi Teddy,

action, action...!

Thank you very much for sharing the video. Smile

Wbr, Gerhard

Hi Gerhard,

Another video that made me laugh, with 'Pause' at the end to stop the Beluga ;o) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-b0oi01SMY

Ted :mrgreen:

I remember making four semi-successful altiports in il2. 2 In particular. But that was in UP 2.01 when runway plates were available in the FMB (not unlocked just normal). But they aren't present in any other mod pack Sad Is there a way to add them without waiting for 4.12?

camm

I created some sloped runways on the original Battle of France map, using conventional runway plates. The only requirement was to keep the angle of slope constant so as to avoid the creation of bumps.

In a current WIP project, HMS Furious, I need to create a slope change in the flight deck to be authentic. I've not yet got to the stage of testing in the game so I don't know if it will work. The original ship, as converted in the 1920's, had the front of the deck sloped upwards to assist in arresting aircraft. It acted a bit like the modern ski-jump fittings on carriers, but with a much shallower slope.

Ashe

Like this?

[Image: Russian%20Aircraft%20carrier%20c%206.jpg...6160984310]

Its a bit more subtle on HMS Furious. You can just make it out on this model.
The line of the top of the flight deck is higher to the right of the island.

[Image: furious-02.jpg]

Its more obvious on detailed drawings. Just a ramped step really.