F-35 5th Gen Fighter for the Aussies

Good day,

The Australian government has committed to the F-35 after years of heated debate:
http://news.yahoo.com/australia-buy-58- ... 55591.html

I wonder what the European Union response will be? China? Russia?
Hummmm..... Is a new arms race in effect?

Clinton

Australia has the luxury of being a little distant from most senstiive issues in the world, and for that matter, rarely gets involved in them. Not a criticism you understand - just how things are. I doubt that the purchase of F35's is going to shake the world at large. These things become an issue when one faction or another feels a potential threat or obstacle.

I feel that Russia and other countries have pressure to increase their effort in order to not be outstaged and to keep an interest internationally in their own weapons sales. Maybe there is also the morale problem. "Look! Even little Australia now has better planes than ours! :evil: "

Clinton

Possibly, but Russia isn't likely to worry overly about Australian air power. Since the aeroplane is american and already known to the Russians, they've already considered the spread of this level of capability. In fact, the Russians aren't standing still. Whatever issues they might have in their economy, their aircraft industry is still developing capable combat planes which I suspect are still mostly geared for opposing the west. Note however their emphasis is away from the larger nuclear weapon carriers, and more toward multi-role jets suitable for close support and air superiority, reflecting I guess the needs of the current political situation and strategies applicable.

Like the US, the Russians are maintaining larger aeroplanes on a long term basis with refits and so forth. Just recently the RAF had to turn back a Tu95 patrol threatening to enter our airspace. Nothing unusual I guess, the Russians used to do that all the time, and with the current argy-bargy over the Ukraine, the Russians ar getting a bit pushy again (I note they sailed an aircraft carrier through the English Channel much to the consternation of the Royal Navy a few days ago)