Somebody had too much beer last night?

Cool FC! That looks great.

I was thinking of the static object troops, though. I don't care that they are unanimated.

Also, don't think of the line abreast formation as having to turn much (the static troops from 4.09b is what I mean! The ones with guns.).

You wouldn't have these guys going fast (or moving at all, franly), they'd have TimeOut set most of the time.

Imagine Guadalcanal, or the Buna area on the NG map. There is a front, and those bunker MGs.

You'd have the squad sized formation (some standing, some taking a knee and shooting) move forward at VERY VERY slow speed. 1kph or less. Then they stop to shoot. The idea is to have them VERY slowly advance. The goal is only that they slowly move the front someplace where loading in too much real armor would look silly. Perhaps the MG42 could be the "turret" of the group?

From a player POV (all that matters), they'd see the back and forth tracers, but the front might evolve, particularly if they knock out a pillbox that was forcing them to stop and shoot.

I am really thinking of a group for combat areas away from towns, at least one. These groups would be fine in the desert, on the steppes of the eastern front, for farmland areas in the ETO (hedgerows, etc). They'll also be useful for the PTO. Combined with the smaller 2 man groupings you show, all bases would be covered.

Note that another reason I want larger, line abreast groups is to be able to have it look like more men with fewer waypoints to have to deal with.

One idea for them (as cars or tanks) is to use all the panzer sides. You could make them harder to kill from the front, and easier from the sides/rear. IMO, it's not about exact bullet by bullet simulation for these, but an abstraction. This would mean flanked units would be more vulnerable. The benefit for the mission builder is that from the front, you can then set it up so that they can fight for a LONG time without being killed (keeping a raging battle below for the players to see from the air), and when needed, simply have a unit flank, then sweep them aside.

Armored car in technics.ini altered:
[Infantry_Squad (ex-BA_64)]
Description
Icon fieldgun // used for 'stacionar' tank only

// Models
MeshSummer

// Panzer
PanzerSubtype 1
PanzerBodyFront 0.012
PanzerBodyBack 0.005
PanzerBodySide 0.005
PanzerBodyTop 0.005

// Weapon
Gun MMGunShKASt
NumShells 1260 (this is cool with moving vehicles, dunno what the shell count should be)
AttackMaxDistance 400.0
AttackMaxRadius 400.0
AttackMaxHeight 400.0
HeadYawHalfRange 180.0
GunMinPitch -10.0
GunStdPitch 0.0
GunMaxPitch +60.0
HeadMaxYawSpeed 20.0 // ??
GunMaxPitchSpeed 20.0 // ??
DelayAfterShoot 5.0
ChainfireTime 1.0
FireFastTargets 0 (if we let them shoot at planes, then: FastTargetsAngleError 10.0)

// Moving
SoundMove ?????
StayWhenFire 1
SpeedAverage 0.5
SpeedMax 1.0
SpeedBack 0.5
RotSpeedMax 60.0 // ??
RotInvisAng 70.0
BestSpace 20.0
AfterCollisionDist 5.0
CommandInterval 60.0 (longer?)
StayInterval 60.0 (longer?)

tater

FC Wrote:As this thread is not about ships only I can announce that I'm working on TargetBox objects that can be used as targets for area bombing insted of placing hundreads of cars and trains.

Goes to show you that there "is" a place in this Sim for the Heavy Bomber Squadrons. This capability along with a Map as large as the Slot is going to be awesome!

This is absolutly great news to me. Thank You Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Spud....you have a very fertile mind.......keep watering it ..... Big Grin

This one is not going to the second page. Any updates?

Stanger Wrote:This one is not going to the second page. Any updates?

Work on new ships is in progress, I had some problems with adding new ships but I hope I'll solve it.

Adding people as car and tank objects works although there are some things that are not how we want them to be. I gave modded files to spud and I don't know if he's doing some experiments with them or not, I simply don't have enough time to do everything.

If somebody want to experiment with this I will give him files that open new tank and car slots but it must be somebody who is experienced user, I can't teach beginners how to work with technics.ini file.

Situation with TargetBox is similar as with People,concept works, tweaking needed, not enough time.

Small tip for mapmakers:

Kronstadt plates have similar properties as airfield plates but they are much bigger, IMO it would be worth to clone and try them as transparent plates for airfields.

FC

FC, aside from my initial comments, I haven't really had time to mess with them much (troops). I still would like to see a MG42 that moves (very slowly) (perhaps with the chainfire decresed, pause between shots increased). Stop to fire on.

If at all possible, having them not explode when hit would be good.

Regarding the kronstadt plates, these are VERY useful objects.

They all use the same tga, BTW, each plate sees part of it. You could have a mod that clones all 88 of them with a TGA that has different uses for different plates.

A couple might be my plantation plates (already done), others can be clear airfields, etc. Other sections might have a ground texture that matches one of the common green shades abd could be used to add to coasts in places.

tater

FC Wrote:Kronstadt plates have similar properties as airfield plates but they are much bigger, IMO it would be worth to clone and try them as transparent plates for airfields.

FC

You mean aircraft can land on them without crashing or bouncing?

canonuk Wrote:
FC Wrote:Kronstadt plates have similar properties as airfield plates but they are much bigger, IMO it would be worth to clone and try them as transparent plates for airfields.

FC

Correct.

FC

You could make a runway with a kronstadt plate maybe 5-700m long with ONE object.

Really should be a priority to make some new airfield stuff with them, IMO. Before New Britain, maybe, imaging the savings for object count.

FC Wrote:
canonuk Wrote:

FC

Correct.

FC

yippee.........much easier than all those individually placed blank plates :lol:

Is someone working on this?

Spud - have you extracted all the necessary files for the Kronstadt plates?

I'll up them for you later, canon

Here they are.

The 2 textures are in the Kronstadt01 folder, shared by all the others. I didn't bother with the original textures, I just made 2 of my own (they work, but the scaling is not great, had to mess with the mat for that).

http://www.mediafire.com/?2wynw99blio

tater

Fantastic.. thanks Spud.

I've already made them transparent with an alpha channel - 4 was enough to cover a small airfield so the entire grass area is now usable. This is what I was waiting for - I'll use them on all my grass airstrips.

It'll look better, and also reduce the object count by loads!

How's it going down at the ship yard?? Smile