Somebody had too much beer last night?

Hi,
Here is a test of new airfield plates. I made giant plate so you can use single plate for whole airfield.

If you use invisible version than you just put a plate where you want base to be but if you want to use textured version than you can make new texture for every base. That way you don't waste map textures on airfields and you can use them all for terrain. Another possible use of these plates is to create some characteristics spots without spending map textures.

That way number of textures on map is limited with PC power only. Of course you need to add new objects to objects.ini.

Here is one example of giant plate.
[Image: th_37729_grab0000_122_218lo.jpg]
[Image: th_37730_grab0003_122_392lo.jpg]

Plates doesn't have to be rectangular, any shape is possible.

FC

just what we need Big Grin

fantastic, like always ..... many thanks FC

cheers
Z

Just to make fabianfred happy.

[Image: th_75878_grab0000_122_257lo.jpg][Image: th_75880_grab0001_122_481lo.jpg][Image: th_75884_grab0002_122_919lo.jpg][Image: th_75887_grab0003_122_523lo.jpg]

FC

Thank you FC...those are great....my own not very good solution of having the nets hanging up in the air can now be disposed of Big Grin

The large plate is great too.......the only possible downside is that the ground in that area must be completely flat.

Perhaps you could make a plate as long as the longest airstrip and a bit wider than a dual strip too.... for use where the strip is important, but not all the taxiing and parking, and then it can be used in places where the ground is not all flat...and it will save using many smaller plates too

even the largest kronstadt plate (I use #17) takes about six or seven to cover a long strip

You are doing some fabulous work here FC........ did you see the video I made of my Pearl Harbor mission...using your slow sinking times...the Battleships went down just right.

FC .... do you think there is any way to give the airfield plates a damage model?

or even just to have them disappear when bombed?

We haven't been able to extend the life of the craters caused by shells and bombs, or especially their effect of being able to cause a plane to 'fall in' the crater and break a leg.....
I was thinking that perhaps an airfield plate, which is normally smooth to land or taxi on, could be made to disappear and so leave the rough ground beneath, for a similar kind of effect....?

But then with one hit you would isable the whole airfield.
Maybe an object that is flat, that turns into a crater when hit can be built to place on top of runways, that when hit, would create a crater.

That would be Awsom for on line wars hehe.

Or at least Invisible objects taht would register a hit on runways, and a "trench-crater" can be palced in teh runway, when hit the mission before.. or something along this lines...

Just brainstorming here, and guessing a lot....
If Test runways are onlly flight decks modified.. isn

FC Wrote:Just to make fabianfred happy.

[Image: th_75878_grab0000_122_257lo.jpg][Image: th_75880_grab0001_122_481lo.jpg][Image: th_75884_grab0002_122_919lo.jpg][Image: th_75887_grab0003_122_523lo.jpg]

FC

hey fred, which of your mods raises the height of the nets?

i love all the rest of them, but that one kinda bugs me

Quote:hey fred, which of your mods raises the height of the nets?

it was only a workaround I made....... because I was always annoyed that a huge plane taxiing along at 10mph would only have to touch a net shelter and it would explode...often leaving the netting unscathed :roll:

so i raised the net so that a/c could move under it...and for the damage model it reverted to the normal net....but not the damaged version....however, because it was the DEAD item it had no collision so you could move through it without being destroyed......

If you just want the standard items then you need to alter the static.ini

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet]
Title Airdrome_Maskingnet
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet_5m/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet/live.sim
AddHeightLive 5.0
Body WoodSmall
Panzer 0.0001

you need to delete the Addheightlive line
and change the MeshLive line to delete the _5m

these two are in Canon's objects for his Channel map too

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet4]
Title Airdrome_Maskingnet4
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet4/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet4/dead.sim
AddHeightLive 3.1
AlignToLand 0
Body WoodSmall // FIXME: need special type 'Cloth'
Panzer 0.0001

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet6]
Title Airdrome_Maskingnet6
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet6/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet6/dead.sim
AddHeightLive 6.0
AlignToLand 0
Panzer 0.0001

Baco1170 Wrote:But then with one hit you would isable the whole airfield.
Maybe an object that is flat, that turns into a crater when hit can be built to place on top of runways, that when hit, would create a crater.

That would be Awsome for on line wars hehe.

Or at least Invisible objects taht would register a hit on runways, and a "trench-crater" can be palced in teh runway, when hit the mission before.. or something along this lines...

One hit would only disable the whole airfield if you are using the new BIG plate that FC is developing..... I was talking about the standard airstrips which usually have many runway and taxi and parking plates

I did try making something before.... I used a machine gun round trench which in its damaged state is blackened and looks like a crater....... and I made a new object of the oil slick left behind as the damaged version of the oil drums.....and I used the crater as the DEAD version.... so that in effect if the oil splash, which had been placed on the ground, was hit...it changed into the crater looking object....it worked, but the only trouble was that ALL DEAD objects have no collision, so it didn't stop vehicles or planes from driving through it Cry

fabianfred Wrote:
Quote:hey fred, which of your mods raises the height of the nets?

it was only a workaround I made....... because I was always annoyed that a huge plane taxiing along at 10mph would only have to touch a net shelter and it would explode...often leaving the netting unscathed :roll:

so i raised the net so that a/c could move under it...and for the damage model it reverted to the normal net....but not the damaged version....however, because it was the DEAD item it had no collision so you could move through it without being destroyed......

If you just want the standard items then you need to alter the static.ini

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet]
Title Airdrome_Maskingnet
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet_5m/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet/live.sim
AddHeightLive 5.0
Body WoodSmall
Panzer 0.0001

you need to delete the Addheightlive line
and change the MeshLive line to delete the _5m

these two are in Canon's objects for his Channel map too

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet4]
Title Airdrome_Maskingnet4
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet4/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet4/dead.sim
AddHeightLive 3.1
AlignToLand 0
Panzer 0.0001

[buildings.House$AirdromeMaskingnet6]
Title Airdrome_Maskingnet6
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet6/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Airdrome/Maskingnet6/dead.sim
AddHeightLive 6.0
AlignToLand 0
Panzer 0.0001

thanks

actually the net mod I did wasn't only to raise it, but I also changed the colour of the net and removed the upright poles by making them invisble as an alpha channel....but loking at the new larger size net by FC ...mine is now obsolete....or it will be when he releases it

fabianfred Wrote:The large plate is great too.......the only possible downside is that the ground in that area must be completely flat.

Perhaps you could make a plate as long as the longest airstrip and a bit wider than a dual strip too.... for use where the strip is important, but not all the taxiing and parking, and then it can be used in places where the ground is not all flat...and it will save using many smaller plates too

even the largest kronstadt plate (I use #17) takes about six or seven to cover a long strip

did you see the video I made of my Pearl Harbor mission...using your slow sinking times...the Battleships went down just right.

You have missed last line in my initial post, all shapes of airfield plates are possible. You can take aerial picture of an airfield and make single plate that matches shape of real airfield and than make texture to match visuals of real base.

You could do something similar before but you needed to use map textures for airfields ( I think Banff base in Norway is one of such bases). But if you do that you lose one of the textures for map which are already very limited in numbers.

Now you can use big plate and object skin in place of map textures, that free all of the map textures for terrain and gives you possibility to have many textured airfield which would be impossible to have before because of textures limitations.

I haven't see your video, can you give me a link? BTW I tied sinking times to one of the ship parameteres now and smaller ships sink faster than big ones. All sink times are random ,of course, and it's possible that sometimes big ship will sink fast.

[quote="Baco1170"]

Just brainstorming here, and guessing a lot....
If Test runways are onlly flight decks modified.. isn

nice work FC!

Just a question:

will those objects be in a "object mod" or will those be separated?

it would be nice if we could centralize all those new objects in one MOD and then update the mod when new objects (modified, reskinned) are made. But it should be controlled :wink:

FC Wrote:IMO best way to do new craters is to edit existing ones, no need to improvise when we already have craters in game.

FC

I do remember that in one patch... a long time ago... Oleg did mention that they had increased the life of the craters and their effect....but not by very much....probably only from the original 30 secs to a minute..
So it CAN be done...just don't know how.