WIP mountain texture

Thanks everyone. This is just something I posted in another thread.

I should explain the mountain texture here.
Im afraid you will not have rock slide or talus slope as seen here in photo.
The mountain textures used are "tiles". As the name suggests it is one image tiled across the sim landscape end for end. I have edited the tile so that you will not see where the tile ends or begins. Sort of a photo loop.
What that means is that any object in the image has to work in any direction. The object will look like it is going up the slope on one side of the mountain then will appear again on another mountain going down the slope. A pile of rock may appear at the base of one mountain but will be half way up another mountain. So all objects in the tile have to be randomly spread though out it and in all directions to look natural. The cracks will appear up/down on one mountain and sideways on another. Its the nature of the beast folks sorry.
I am experimenting with technique and new photos I find. If you have a good photo from your area (even lighting, good contrast, depth, large 1024 pixels or more, rocks -no guy hangin 10 in the center) then post in my mountain texture discussion and I will try it.

Its hard to find good large photos of just rocks on the net. If you want me to try rocks from your area then post links to photos here and I will give it a shot. Remember, uniform colour, light, contrast and detail means less repeating patterns across the landscape. I can edit a lot of it out or edit out small objects/people. Nothing but layered limestone around my home.

Messages In This Thread