Navigation tool - Compass Rose

Idea

The 'plastic cover' over the mini map.... Thats only a .tga isnt it....? How hard would it be for some guru to plop this onto the 'plastic cover', perhaps even with it made a tad more transparent... that way its always in the game....

As a side note, thank your lucky stars we dont have to worry about magnetic bearing's, wind velocity etc etc... (worse exam I've sat: commercial navigation - if only planes had a 'mini-map' with your little plane shown :lol: )

Quote:As a side note, thank your lucky stars we dont have to worry about magnetic bearing's, wind velocity etc etc... (worse exam I've sat: commercial navigation - if only planes had a 'mini-map' with your little plane shown )

Check out some of the GPS systems with real time map display.

If you print the Rose image I've offered on clear transparency and add a layer of clear lamanent, you can hold IT over the mini-map. NO need for progamming guru.

No need to make this harder than it has to be.

RAF_Magpie Wrote:Idea

The 'plastic cover' over the mini map.... Thats only a .tga isnt it....? How hard would it be for some guru to plop this onto the 'plastic cover', perhaps even with it made a tad more transparent... that way its always in the game....

As a side note, thank your lucky stars we dont have to worry about magnetic bearing's, wind velocity etc etc... (worse exam I've sat: commercial navigation - if only planes had a 'mini-map' with your little plane shown :lol: )

you mean like this ...

[Image: map_pad.jpg]

I think the biggest problem of trying to embed the rose onto the mini-map is that it would be too small to read the degrees.

Outryder Wrote:I think the biggest problem of trying to embed the rose onto the mini-map is that it would be too small to read the degrees.

yup ... or it would cover too much space of map .... also , pad tga's can be 1024x1024 so when game resize it degrees may get unreadable

if someone insist i'll try to make one ....

Z

Smile I insist Wink

If you put it to cover minimap dead in the centre... but reduce the transperancy... so the maps still visable behind it - but the rose is still visible Smile Even if the size is still large - if its transparent enough... you could possibly even change the colour of the numbers or keep them solid colour...

As for GPS units would be nice... The training organisation I'm doing my CPL through (infact the entire Diploma in Aviation) believe in the 'old fashioned' form, with gauges and maps - not the GPS unit... So all the aircraft, even those IF spec'd, only have the normal set of gauges - and a very BASIC form of GPS Sad Cant wait to get my hands on a glass cockpit with a fancy RLP GPS Smile

RAF_Magpie Wrote:Smile I insist Wink

If you put it to cover minimap dead in the centre... but reduce the transperancy... so the maps still visable behind it - but the rose is still visible Smile Even if the size is still large - if its transparent enough... you could possibly even change the colour of the numbers or keep them solid colour...

As for GPS units would be nice... The training organisation I'm doing my CPL through (infact the entire Diploma in Aviation) believe in the 'old fashioned' form, with gauges and maps - not the GPS unit... So all the aircraft, even those IF spec'd, only have the normal set of gauges - and a very BASIC form of GPS Sad Cant wait to get my hands on a glass cockpit with a fancy RLP GPS Smile

well if you insist :wink: ....

sorry no transparency possible here ( at least not to my knowledge ) ... this is the best i could do:

two versions...

[Image: rose_map-1.jpg]

:mrgreen: Brilliant Zo Big Grin

It'll be very handy to have. I think I like the one on the right the most... Smile

... here you go :

http://rapidshare.com/files/99155225/fl ... e.rar.html

two versions .... just switch file names ( PlanshetFrame.tga / PlanshetFrame_rose02.tga )

all credits should go to the creator of map-rose : Outryder .... i just implemented it ....

cheers,
Z

Dang!!!

That don't look bad, fly.

Would have looked better without the grids inside the rose, less cluttered. I had put them in the rose for lining up with the grids of the maps it would be held to. I still believe having a printed rose will be handy if you use printed maps. Remember, some DF servers are "Full Switch" and you won't have any icons on the map. I was capturing the breifing maps, adding a distance legend (KM/Mile), and printing them. Had the map on my lap and did old fashioned "Dead Reckoning" navigating.

Good work the pair of you anyway Wink

Outryder - the rose reminds me of my old ASA protractor lol. Very nicely done.

Outryder Wrote:Dang!!!

Would have looked better without the grids inside the rose, less cluttered. I had put them in the rose for lining up with the grids of the maps it would be held to. I still believe having a printed rose will be handy if you use printed maps. Remember, some DF servers are "Full Switch" and you won't have any icons on the map. I was capturing the breifing maps, adding a distance legend (KM/Mile), and printing them. Had the map on my lap and did old fashioned "Dead Reckoning" navigating.

thanks Big Grin ,

regarding greed ... i didn't want to alter or change your work in any way . And for printing them , i fully agree with you ... it should be present on any printed map .

If i have your permission and there is interest for version without greed .... i'll make one ,NP Big Grin

thanks a lot for it ,

Z

fly_zo Wrote:
Outryder Wrote:Dang!!!

thanks Big Grin ,

regarding greed ... i didn't want to alter or change your work in any way . And for printing them , i fully agree with you ... it should be present on any printed map .

If i have your permission and there is interest for version without greed .... i'll make one ,NP Big Grin

thanks a lot for it ,

Z

You have my permission, fly. Having both aids will be good.

I've been using a clear 360 deg protractor with pointer, mainly on the briefing map where it is of most use.

Coincidentally I was wondering about some kind of floating widget and found this http://www.iconico.com/protractor/ apart from the cost , it tends to flicker too much (unlike other widgets I've tried in the past).

Nice solutions here though guys.

Hello,

Can somebody tell me the depth and width of the Planshet during the game, because on the original file it's 256*256.

Many thanks Smile