WIP mountain texture

A new better set. These are 1024x1024. Less repeats and finer detail for better scaling. I have a second tga here with debris and trees for applying to mountain base area. Thanks for the suggestion.

These work better for large mountain areas like Zips alpen. See alpen discussion for load setting.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... gtile1.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... gtile2.jpg

download-filefront

Phasmid_MountTex_LrgTile.zip

Very nice and very natural!!

I'm a geologist you almost had me looking for gold, and a location to put an oil rig Big Grin Smile Big Grin

Cheers

Leady

Nice, thanks for adding the rock-grass:!: Big Grin

Great textures, isn't for Alpes, but it's good for Cordilleras Big Grin

Good. I think everyone is ok with these then.

For those who have trouble with filefront downloading, these tgas are now available at M4T.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php? ... ails&id=21

cheers

Hi Phasmid.
I like Ur textures - they are bloody good and if not used in the Alp maps, then try to use it on the norway map.
The folding pattern of the texture is a very common thing in Noraway (aswel as for germany for that matter!).
I don't know the geology of the alps, but I know that the german mid-massive or better known as the for-alps (from Hannover and sothwards), there's alot of this folding pattern (Slate mountains).

Keep up the good work

DK-nme

Phasmid, i decided to use new textures and also your mountains not yet but in the next version of the map. Due to the problems that occured i'was in a heavy delay and it's not done just with changing a line in the load.ini. An other point: The standard wood textures with the sliced trees don't look so good and are a little bit monotonous. Is it possible to create some better textures with different density and may be differend types of trees?

Hi Zip. Glad to help. I will shop around on the net for more varied trees and grass or I will create myself. I can work on some granite rock if you want. It may represent Alps geology better. I will get back to you on my progress.

BTW. I have been really enjoying your zip_alpen map. The lake areas are really beautiful. Thanks for all your work.

Some new granite would be good to have indeed :!:

thanks for the great textures mate and the instructions are clear and precise with a bit of humour and brief explanations, now if you could just make a complete dummies guide to mapmaking in the same style then i would be a very happy dummy! lol! Big Grin

These textures look fantastic, many thanks. Smile

Thanks everyone. This is just something I posted in another thread.

I should explain the mountain texture here.
Im afraid you will not have rock slide or talus slope as seen here in photo.
The mountain textures used are "tiles". As the name suggests it is one image tiled across the sim landscape end for end. I have edited the tile so that you will not see where the tile ends or begins. Sort of a photo loop.
What that means is that any object in the image has to work in any direction. The object will look like it is going up the slope on one side of the mountain then will appear again on another mountain going down the slope. A pile of rock may appear at the base of one mountain but will be half way up another mountain. So all objects in the tile have to be randomly spread though out it and in all directions to look natural. The cracks will appear up/down on one mountain and sideways on another. Its the nature of the beast folks sorry.
I am experimenting with technique and new photos I find. If you have a good photo from your area (even lighting, good contrast, depth, large 1024 pixels or more, rocks -no guy hangin 10 in the center) then post in my mountain texture discussion and I will try it.

Its hard to find good large photos of just rocks on the net. If you want me to try rocks from your area then post links to photos here and I will give it a shot. Remember, uniform colour, light, contrast and detail means less repeating patterns across the landscape. I can edit a lot of it out or edit out small objects/people. Nothing but layered limestone around my home.

Phasmid you might check the stone section from this site:

http://www.cgtextures.com/index.php?pass=true

Excuse the rock reference but that site is a gold mine! TY LF. More to come.

~phasmid,

Absolutely love your new rock textures m8. Team Pacific has just started our new WIP - New Guinea - New Britain (NGNB) and these textures are perfect for the granite slopes which are so common to this area. One of the biggest surprises to me is how many of the slopes on NGNB are bare rock faces, and how reddish-brown some of these textures are - see Google Earth in the area north - northeast of Lae, and in the are known as the Eastern Highlands, for examples.

Purpose of this post is twofold:
1. Request permission to use your mountain textures for NGNB, and to ask a favor.
2. We really need rock textures that better simulate the reddish hues so common to New Guinea, and would very grateful if you could create some for our use. We will give thank you profusely and give you "top billing" in the credits when released Big Grin