Custom Textures

Has anyone noticed that when you make a texture for a new ground tile, the colours don't seem to come out how you expected in game?

I tried colour matching a new tile to an in-game screenshot of the ground, and when I loaded it it was too light and too blueish. Then I darked by texture but it was still blueish and didn't fit.

Is there a trick to this? Do we know what the game does to textures, or is it just a case of experimenting to see what works?

Joe

canonuk Wrote:Has anyone noticed that when you make a texture for a new ground tile, the colours don't seem to come out how you expected in game?

I tried colour matching a new tile to an in-game screenshot of the ground, and when I loaded it it was too light and too blueish. Then I darked by texture but it was still blueish and didn't fit.

Is there a trick to this? Do we know what the game does to textures, or is it just a case of experimenting to see what works?

Joe

I found the texture made from the screenshot was way too light. I did not notice the bluish effect.
Surely it also depends from graphic card and graphic settings, as well as time of day probably.

I think a bit of experimenting solves the problem.

What one will never get from a screenshot or from the game loading page, is the alpha layer of the texture.

Maraz

Ah yes, experimentation was the key Smile Managed to get the exact tone I wanted Big Grin

Canon,

Is it the hue, saturation, colour or a combination you change. What was your method, because this element of map making is driving me up the wall Cry

CW

A little bit of everything.

First off, the engine severely lightens the textures, so make them quite a bit darker than you want them. Then, I drop the saturation about 8% and adjust the hue to remove some of the blue. Then it's just endless bloody tweaking until you get it right.

Very annoying!