The Slot

Hey spud, can you tell me what the green and blue squares represent in the game? I think there may be a map size limit to the game, since the Slot as I made it is rather HUGE in comparison with other maps, and no matter what I try it wont load in FMB.

If there is a map size limit, we may be forced to compromise on what we want.

[Image: the_slot.jpg]

RED is the size of the NG map, you can get New Georgia and the bulk of the slot in with far less land than NG has.

GREEN is the size of the "Early Guadalcanal" map (500x500 km). Obviously the slot fits there, too (BTW, and mission can have the CVs, etc off the map in water, so any map can do the pre-invasion strikes)

BLUE is the size of the Iwo Jima map (800x800). Total land area approaches the current NG map.

YELLOW is the size of Hawaii map. We can fit Rabaul in this, and the land area looks to be slightly larger than current NG.

Here are tiles of NG maps on the slot:

[Image: SWPA_revised.jpg]

A thread of mine at ubi:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 9831085052

tater

[Image: better_coast.jpg]

another image of what virtually all the pacific coastlines should look like. (cannot stress this enough)

tater

Ok Thanks spud.

The problem with Hawaii, Iwo and Guadalcanal early is that they have a limited file size for the land masses. Then in the load.ini of the map, water is tiled around that map to create a bigger map with ocean around it. So in reality, Hawaii is really 320x160km, with game added tiled water around it.

I will look into making a few different maps using New Guinea as a template. It would have been really nice to have the entire Solomons chain but I'm afraid this may not be possible, and also a reason why Oleg and team have ignored this map for so long.

First Slot map has begun.

[Image: slotmap1.jpg]

Still needs alot of work Wink

[Image: slot2.jpg]

Hi skunkmeister, sorry if i didn't help you in these days... i'm still trying to produce a bigger map of the slot but with bad results.

Could anyone send me a step-by-step tutorial to build a new map from scratch? any help is welcome... :wink:

Ah...As I posted before, I think that we are stuck with the current map sizes. I tried to create a map size of 400x400km as a test, but it was a no-go in the game.

I will try a few more things, like making maps bigger in 10 or 50km increments and see just how far the game will take it.

Wow Confusedhock:

It looks so detailed. WOW.

My draft is 423x320km (i obtained it joining 2 of the SRTM data files and then cutting a big amount of open water:

[Image: fsscr000.jpg]

so i suppose i wanted too much to be the first time... :wink:

... by the way.... in this website i found a lot of useful infos...

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/search/airfields.html

Did you get my email G?

Gitano, I'd push that west and cut off malaita and get more bouganville in.

Just my opinion.

tater

Kolombangara Island:

[Image: kolombangara.jpg]

Vella Lavella:

[Image: vellalavella.jpg]

Same thing, but looking down towards Barakoma(I think)

[Image: vellalavella2.jpg]

Gitano, I tried it again last night and I really think we're stuck with working with the New Guinea map for size. Sad

Skunkmeister Wrote:Gitano, I tried it again last night and I really think we're stuck with working with the New Guinea map for size. Sad

rgr... we shall live with that. Now i have more questions... :roll:

1) what can you tell me about map_R and map_S files? can we use files from another map?

2) have you found some problems when modifiyng tga's size? (i.e. to match realistic dimensions?

IMO your work is giong very well, i wish we will see a lot of equatorial forest on that map 8) (i suggest burma wood textures...)

@ spud: i agree: it was just an attempt to have a nice landscape all around Henderson Field