Map Building for Beginners

Hi Kirby

Your "map_h" is the wrong size. The reason it's wrong because is because you trimmed "map_c" to the wrong size & then used the wrong width & height to make "map_h".

Remember the sides have to be a multiple of 32. Map_c should be 5792 x 8992, map_h should therefore be 1448 x 2248.

Redwulf's toolbox has cropped map_c to the right size for you but it can not crop map_h.

Confusedhock:

farang65 Wrote:Well,

I tried the Cmap3 tool to see if it would work and yes it did work for the first try
First time to see one of those programs actually work.

I then trimmed my map down some to reduce the size. Manually croping in Gimp
Then I used Red Wolf's C Map tool
It first aligned my map and got it down to about 50 mb in size
Then it made a map c (The scribble lines) and a map c.tga_table

All going well then the difficulty sets in

Starting on map H I followed the instructions to the letter regarding scale . The first map_h was very small so I am thinking this is good.
I then do the coast align instructions and get an error saying that map_h is not compatable to map_c
ggguuurrrr.
I've used this program on given maps and it works like a charm on a working map..

I tried another way I divided the width and the height by four as map h is supposed to be four times smaller
I tried that and still the same error reading.

My Map Original in pixels is W 5819 xH 8993

My division of both W and H by 4 ended up being W 1455 x H 2248.25

What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to do the coast align now can it wait until the map is finished?

CHEERS KIRBY

Hi Kirby,

I'm assuming your original map_c and map_h files are 5819 X 8993.

If you crop the map_c file (Align) it'll be 5792 X 8992 (181*32 X 281*32).
Use the Map_c Toolbox to align your map_h file too (yes, it can be done), I think you forgot this step.

After aligning the map_h to 5792 X 8992 reduce size to 25% (W and H divided by 4) in GIMP or your favorite graphics program. It should now be 1448 X 2248.

Hope this helps ...

kevinp Wrote:Hi Kirby

Your "map_h" is the wrong size. The reason it's wrong because is because you trimmed "map_c" to the wrong size & then used the wrong width & height to make "map_h".

Remember the sides have to be a multiple of 32. Map_c should be 5792 x 8992, map_h should therefore be 1448 x 2248.

Redwulf's toolbox has cropped map_c to the right size for you but it can not crop map_h.

Confusedhock:

Ah, you beat me to it kevinp Big Grin

That Map_c Toolbox is a very clever tool. It can do everything.

Big Grin

kevinp Wrote:That Map_c Toolbox is a very clever tool. It can do everything.

Big Grin

Thnx kevinp Big Grin

Well ... not everything, it won't do the dishes (darn). :lol:

FYI, I'm planning on integrating all the various tools I've made (Map_c Toolbox + CoastAlign + a couple of other ones) into a single application sometime soon. I'm making these applications as the need arises during my Denmark map project.

What I do need though is info on the actors.static file format, would be a great help.

Thanks Kevinp and Redwolf_32

Now from that valuable info.

Redwolf's program did align it and it all went smoothly
It cam out with a map c sqiggle lines and a map-c.tga.

But becuase I trimmed the map before I did this procedure I think that is where the problem lies.

Coast Align tool works perfectly I have tried thisd on a North Aust given map

I think it was the fact that I decided to trim the map to make it smaller originally it was around 68mb
not quite the 64 mb for the maximum size.

I did not save the trimmed version into Microdem.

Start afresh again

I don't mind going over steps a few times to get it right.

Thank you for the info on sizes.

... guys, can i ask you to move discussions regarding specific tools to their download sections or at least start new thread for them so valuable information doesn't get buried in this thread .

I've started whole maps tools section so you can ask authors anything regarding their tools there ( in tool respectful thread )

thank you

Z

Yes I also missed the 32 multiples.

Just an unfamilar math procedure now.

I'll re do again using

5792 x 8992 map_c

1448 x 2248 map_h

Yes my project is a tad bigger then just an island .

I liked the microdem tutorial section a lot and it was the first time for me to see one of those older frusting map tools work Mapc3

Red Wolf's programs are fantastic I wish it could make a cup of coffee as well.

Don't worry about the dishes.

Cheers Kirby

After thoroughly reading your info
and taking all the measurements
I went back to Microdem and started afresh.

Got an original in gimp of pixels 5819x8993
A c map grey and colour of pixels 5792x8992 multiples of 32

I used the old map c3 program it worked perfectly

then scaled the grey bmp to pixels 1448x 8992 as suggested

Put the map_c and map_h into Coast align tool

SWEET FREEEAKIN PRESTO Big Grin The Coast Align tool showed the bar for the first time. :o

YEEE HAHH YIP PPP EEEEEEE :lol:

On to map-t this afternoon

Thank you Kevin and Redwolf_32
Will think about this procedure and multiples of 32 for other projects

Cheers Kirby

pixels mistiake in reply

It should be 1448x 2248 for map-h as done correctly

Cheers Kirby

Hi Kevin I finished all the other maps

map_t
Map_h
Map_f
ed_m01
ed_m02 Big Grin

I worked on what was said in the turorial like map_t is the same size as map_h
so I scaled a colour map to the size of map_h and then I follow the rest of the tutorial

The same for ed_m01 is twice the size of map_h so scaled a new colour map to the size of 2806x4486
from map_h of 1448X2248

Finished map_f

LOAD UP TIME Cry

I get the following

WORLD LAND 0. LANDMAP 0 error java.lang. Runtime Exception Landscape kjd_Vanuatu/load.ini loading error

I checked all the other things you mentioned about grey scale for map_h and map_t I also flattened
map_h and map_t and unchecked decompression all the time.

Will I have to make a edm-03?

My map is big at 50mb in size.

Keen to give you all some screen shots in a day or two.

Cheers Kirby

Hi Kirby

You are in good company. As I said in my tutorial, "none of my maps ever work the first time". There is always something I have forgotten to do.

It looks like ed_m01 is the wrong size, it should be 2896 x 4496. I hope you are using the load.ini from the "HB_PacificIslands" map. If you are then there's no need for ed_m03.

The size of Mymap_c is not a problem because it's not used by the game. It's only used to make map_c.tga & map_c.tga_table. If you look at map_c it's probably only just over 1MB.

Cheers Kevin

Thanks for the quick reply

I'll check the size of edm_01 tonight and yes I am using the load.ini from your pacific islands map.
Hopefully screen shots soon.

Cheers Kirby

Definitely hooked on this map making stuff now

he he he :lol:

Finally got a map to actually load on the Full Mission Builder Big Grin !!!

Im happy!

Thanks!

Now may i ask what are the RGB for each tile? (is easier to place textures that way in the GIMP...or not?)

Or, can i make the Brush bigger for placing Tiles in FMB?

[Image: npl.th.jpg]

Is just a bunch of Island in Southern Chile (Norway textures will fit nicely)... This is just a test map anyway.

And And!!...lol, im full of questions...

Lol, just made another map...

Honduras - El Salvador (Yeah, for Football War 1969..why not?)

[Image: honsal.jpg]

IDEA: We should have like a storage of Template maps for interesting areas... So you dont have to make the whole process from scratch.