Map building tutorial

Hi everybody,
Thanks for your help. In fact all the three are right. Textures and wide go together.
I've tried several combinations and I've arrived to the following conclusion:
1) Map_c: Rivers has to have a certain wide (I'm not quite sure but it seems to be something like 22 pixels = 1100m)
2) Map_t: The texture for the river has to be water (I've tried 31 and it works, if parts of the river have other "land" textures the ship will not pas through).
3) Map_h: I've made the river at 0 level all the way long. I haven't tried other heights for the river bed. Height of the shores doesn't seem to have any impact.
Cheers,
N

Hello everyone. I don't make maps (I make missions) but I found some bugs on Checkyersix's North Korea map and I PM'd him to let him know.

While I wait for his reply, I thought I would post the bugs here hoping that someone would have a solution, which may be helpful to Checkyersix.

These bugs only seem to happen to jet planes and not props. Also, they only seem to happen on concrete runways.

Here are the bugs:

-Pyongyang AB (AP-27): Last jet in a flight cannot start it's engine.

-K-13 Suwon AB (AZ-8): Last 2 jets in a flight cannot start their engines.

*This bug affects both human players and AI. I've seen it in the past on the Italy Online map and I think the bug is still present there also. (On the Genova airfield.)

If anyone knows the solution to this bug, please post it here. Thank you.

Aviar

Hi Kevin,
I'm entering on the last task of my map, recreating historical airfields layouts. As the idea is to make it realistic, I've got a small question on scaling:
it seems that all the plates available are the same size. Do you know which is their scale (which is their theoretical dimension in meters)?
Thanks,
N

Hi nounette

Almost all the stock runway plates are 40 metres square.

Hello, Mr. Kevin !

I've downloaded Microdem, from their site. It's probably the latest version and it's different than the one you're using in your tutorial. It doesn't run fine, it says that there are no indexed DEMs, it tries to download some land database, called AF Soils...and it downloads this again, and again, again...and if try pasting the new .exe and updates from their site, it say's something..."violated access to microdem.exe"

But the main problem is the IN/OUT MERGING....I click MERGE>DEM> And I see ADF GRIDS, Graphical Blocks instead of Pick Single/Pick Multiple. I tried anyway to merge the files but nothing happens....it loads and than nothing, or nothing happens at all.

Could you please send me your old version of Microdem ? Or explain to me how the new version of Microdem works.

Thank you for the nice tutorial !

Hi Волк

Are you using version 3 or version 4 of my tutorial. If you are using version 3 it is out of date & you should download the new tutorial.

Hello, again, Mr. Kevin, yes I was using V.3 i think i got it from somewhere else and I didn't see that there is V.4.

I am now at the end of the tutorial, however I forgot to put SAS mod activator, and I don't see Manam in the list of maps.

I am concerned about one thing though, as you probably know you can't play with modded game in servers that have...mmm CRT=2 . If i move the MODS folder in my original, unmoded game, will I be able to play this map ? I mean I keep two copies of the game...one with mods, one without mods. Will i be able to load this map in the game without mods ? And people who don't have SAS , will they be able to play this map ?

One more question, how do i play on the new map with other people ? When we connect , the map will transfer to them automatically , or i will have to send the map files to them ?

Thanks for all the help ! Big Grin

Hi Волк

I find you question a bit confusing. Are you saying you want to have a game with no MODs except for this one map. If that's the question then the answer is yes but only if you have installed a MOD activator. Nothing in the MODs folder will load unless there is a MOD activator.

The answer to your other question is that the map is not transferred to them automatically, you have to send them the map files first.

Cheers, Kevin

Can i play on Manam with people who don't have SAS ?

Can I make a map that can be played without the need of any mods and mod activators ?

How can I increase the amount of shallow waters ? There are some tropical beaches that have big lagoons with bright blue water, I seek to recreate that but i am not sure how.

In answer to first question, SAS is just one MOD activator, there are other MOD activators out there. As long as other players have a MOD activator then you can play with them.

Second question. You cannot play a map without a MOD activator.

Last question. Shallow water is made on Mymap_c. Look at my PacificIsland map, I have included Mymap_c so you can see how I made the shallow water.

Cheers, Kevin

Hello kevinp,

I was wondering how your doing on the updated version of the Map building tutorial for the latest Mods..UP3, DBW, and SAS Modcat v3.6?

I downloaded Version 4, I had version 3 on a UP2.01 Mod on a version 4.09 of the game. I did get it to work the first time on that!

I did get version 4 to work on SAS Modcat v3.6, through trial and error! I installed SAS Modcat v3.6 in a stock IL-2 v4.10.1.

Then I renamed it IL-2 Map Builder.

I had to change the MODS Folder re-name it to #SAS and leave in the all.ini for the SAS Modcat v3.6 and the files called STD, XTD and left UP3_GUNS....I never tried it without the UP3_GUNS yet.{ I'll get back to you on that. }

I added the Manam Manam/load.ini to the SAS all.ini in the MAPMODS folder.

I used the #SAS MAPMODS folder, emptied it first and then put all the things from your tutorial in it. But like I said I copied and pasted the all.ini from the #SAS Folder.

I also had to delete the Stock il2 fb.exe thats next to the colorful SAS il2fb.exe, I sent the SAS il2 fb.exe to the desktop and renamed it MAP Builder.

I also had to use the Map_c tool box to get the MYmap_c to work.

I couldn't get the MAP Maker to work on UP3 or DBW, just the SAS Modcatv3.6.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

rustydawg

PS....I just checked out what needs to be in the #SAS Folder(that replaces the MODS folder) to get the Map Builder to work with SAS Modcat v3.6.
1. UP3_GUNS can be left out, works without them.
2. XTD folder needs to be in the #SAS Folder!!!..Game locks on Desktop at 95% on the stock IL-2 4.10.1 splash screen, without it.
3. STD folder needs to be in the #SAS folder, the game will open, but will have the stock menus without it!

Don't forget to check SAS Modcat 3 on the IL-2 Executable selector, and delete the wrapper.text in the main game folder everytime you need to change something on the maps.

Everytime I exit the IL-2 games, map or player versions, I go to the game folder and delete the wrapper.text.

Why not UnCheck Cache files on the IL-2 Selector ... You had to of Checked marked it...
Then the game won't save your files Cached into a wrapper, and you will not have to delete the wrapper as the game will not even produce one then!

Using Cached files,is only good if you are satisfied with your game and everything you added,
and you no longer plan to add anything or change anything

For a dedicated Map Editor,you would not want to run a Cache Wrapper,so UnCheck Cache files on the IL-2 Selctor
You had to of checked it yourself for some reason,as it comes "UNchecked " by default

A lot of people have been switching that On for whatever reason,even without knowing what it does

rustydawg Wrote:Don't forget to check SAS Modcat 3 on the IL-2 Executable selector, and delete the wrapper.text in the main game folder everytime you need to change something on the maps.
Everytime I exit the IL-2 games, map or player versions, I go to the game folder and delete the wrapper.text.

I do have the Cache files un-checked. I just delete the wrapper because my understanding of the article I read about it in the forums said it should be deleted everytime you add something or take it out of MODS (or the #SAS folder in this case).

But I'll try it without deleting the wrapper.

Thanks for the advice,

rustydawg

PS.....Did anyone else get the Map Maker to work on DBW or UP3.1? If so how?

I have cached files not checked,I dont ever delete the wrapper and I have no trouble adding,changing anything
Just as long as Chache files in NOT checked

Yes,I can run Unlocked with DBW and UP 3 ?
Why would it not work...

I am running HSFX 5,UP 3 and DBW all in the same game ,one single install
I can use unlocked FMB on any one of the three versions I am running,editing and saving work on any map in any one of the three installs

I only use one thing to be able to do this
3rd link down from the top,it is a Mod to be used in JSGME and it switches the game to unlocked
can be used on any version of a modded game>
http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/topic,2630.0.html

I quit running a dedicated map maker install quite awhile ago
and I also quit having numerous separate games installed on my Pc
there is no real reason for it anymore IMHO

Edit>
BTW,with the new UP 3 you do not even need an extra large il2.exe anymore
Just with the il2.exe that comes with UP 3 any map can be loaded in Unlocked
by just using 512 RAM and 4 Gb address checked on the new IL2 Selector used in UP 3 and DBW

rustydawg Wrote:I do have the Cache files un-checked. I just delete the wrapper because my understanding of the article I read about it in the forums said it should be deleted everytime you add something or take it out of MODS (or the #SAS folder in this case).

But I'll try it without deleting the wrapper.

Thanks for the advice,

rustydawg

PS.....Did anyone else get the Map Maker to work on DBW or UP3.1? If so how?

Thanks Apollo_13. I was just wondering this morning why I'm spinning my wheels on the dedicated Map builder when there's a unlocked FMB+ for the JSGME, and a permanent fix in the next UP3 full release.

Sometimes I'm a little slow.

I did try working on maps without deleting the wrapper and it still works, you where right!

I suppose kevinp will have that, about the JSGME, in his next update.

Best regards,

rustydawg