Map building tutorial

Thanks for the pictures. I like the Temple.

The difficulties you had are interesting. I may have to add something to my tutorial on
configuring Microdem. I used to have the same problem with disapearing buttons.

Cheers
Kevin

I am working on another area as project two

It is quite a large area.

Just wanting to know if W and H have to be x32 for 50 pixels scale 75 pixels scale and 100 pixels scale.

I tried 50 pixels first in Moicrodem and not enough memmory to do it.
I looked at 100 pixels scale and it said that it would take a lot of time loading the photo.
I tried 75 pixels scale 3/4 and everything went smoothly.

So just keen to know if all scales are applicable to Wx32 multiples and H x32 multiples.

Just checking to be sure.

Cheers Kirby

could anybody post a fresh all.ini with only the default maps here please?
When I started, I deleted all maps there and wrote only manam and HB_PacificIslands there because it looked like only this two should be there in the tutorial. Its nothing important, but I think, I would have a look on the other maps, too.
THX
(doesn

[quote="JG3_VonHahn"]could anybody post a fresh all.ini with only the default maps here please?
When I started, I deleted all maps there and wrote only manam and HB_PacificIslands there because it looked like only this two should be there in the tutorial. Its nothing important, but I think, I would have a look on the other maps, too.
THX
(doesn

thanks

In Microdem you can set the map pixel size to anything you want as long as you crop it to a multiple
of 32 for Mymap_c.

When setting the map pixel size in Microdem, it may be better to set it at 200 instead of 50. This
requires a lot less memory & also means that when you make the GREY map (which is to become
map_h) it is the correct size & doesn't need scaling down.

How's Vanuatu getting on, sounds like it's almost finished if you'r starting another project.

Cheers
Kevin

Got that sorted out ok.

Today check out the new thread Shanhai Nanking China map.

I am working with alot of jungle textures right now for Vanuatu.

Want to get that right with the dense lush green jungle that I am working with.

Can't do too much this coming week end I am in Bangkok for a teachers course boring.

Cheers Kirby

Kevinp!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for a extremely useful and truly herculean effort. This tutorial is awesome. You deserve some kind of medal!

Poltava Wrote:Kevinp!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for a extremely useful and truly herculean effort. This tutorial is awesome. You deserve some kind of medal!

Thankyou.

Big Grin

It been suggested I post this here...

Putting names on Maps:

In case this isn't covered elsewhere:

It follows from fly_zo's help from a question in another post:

"yes ... but you'll need original texts.txt files for that default maps ( SFS extractor ... or PM me)

1 make proper map folder for desired map ( MODS\mapmods\maps\"desired map")

2 place there original texs.txt file

3 open map in FMB and add some stationary object at locations of needed text ...save mission

4 open mission with notepad

5 copy coordinates of placed stat.objects and use them in texts.txt for your labels

* see my "BoB" map texts.txt for reference ( labels on british land ) regarding font formatting

reg
Z"

The format in the "texts.txt" file in the relevant map folder (in this case I'm adding names to the MTO map) which would be placed in the MODS\MapMods\Maps\MTOmaps folder is:

78235 13733 7 0 1 4 Bir Hacheim

A) Location reference (numbers after the decimal point must be deleted). So "78235.56 13733.84" must be truncated to "78235 13733". I use a V1 rocket to locate the names since they are easy to find in the .mis file).

B) The four digit text code. (7 0 1 4 above). The digits define from left to right the following parameters:
i) Leftmost ("7") = Zoom level at which the text becomes visible. Possible values I have tested are 7, 6, 5, 4. 7 is visible at all zoom levels, The smaller this value the more you have to zoom in before the text becomes visible.

ii) Second from left ("0") = Justification (relative to the location reference). Possible values are:
0 = Right Justiifed;
1 = Centre Justified;
2 = Left Justified.

iii) Second from the right ("1") = Size of text. Possible values which seem to have any effect are:
0 = Small;
1 = Medium;
2 = Large;
Note that this is independent of the Zoom level at which they become visible. So a name with zoom level 7 but size 0 will always appear on the map - albeit very small to see, whereas a name with zoom level of 4 but size 2 will not be visible at all until you zoom in a long way, whereupon it will suddenly appear in BIG letters.

iv) Rightmost ("4") = Colour. Possible values are 0-9. My approximations are given below but how they appear depends on video card/monitor and background.
0 = Black;
1 = Brown/Red;
2 = Green;
3 = Olive;
4 = Blue;
5 = Purple;
6 = Blue-Green;
7 = Silver-Grey;
8 = Blue-Grey;
9 = Light Blue.

C) The text can include capitalisation and hyphens. IT CAN ALSO INCLUDE SPACES. There is no need to use the underscore, in fact the underscore will actually appear as a character.

My sincere gratitude to fly_zo for his help with this. The vast bulk of the above he was kind enough to explain to me. Any A's & A's please let me know.

Regards

Vermin

*BUMP*

THANKS YOU!!
Very useful information

Thank you Kevin for your great work, I begin from two days ago to try building maps, I hope to can give a contribute to community when I've more ability with it. (also translating in italian language your tutorial if you permissing)

I work well untill pag 50, but the size of my files are not the same of your also map_c.tga_table is different.
in particular
[color=red]MANAM COLOUR.BMP is 792x637
map_h.tga: 60
map_c.tga_table:

If you can't see HB_pacificIslands in the menu it may mean that you have installed it to the wrong place, or maybe your game hasn't got the Mod activator.

Try downloading my game, the link is at the bottom of page 10 in my tutorial.

Cheers
Kevin

thanks, Now I look at your manam and can see that all files are like mine (I corrected the two size) but the map_c.tag_table have not this: & ' ( ) * + , -
[Image: maptgatable.jpg]
I wish understand why this, for future work.

now I try with your files Thanks.

Now is better, I use your MapBuilder with my files sfs, Manam appear in the map menu! I try put my files and select Manam and it appear, but in 2D.
I try to put your manam files in manam folder, but the result its the same, appear only in 2d.
naturally! (i'm tired or stupid!) I push enter key and manam is in 3D, with my files too!!!! enough fot today!
thanks very much for your support!

Hallo Kevin, Yesterday I work with 4.08,
this the result, no so much perfect:
[Image: manam1.jpg][Image: manam2.jpg][Image: manam3.jpg]

I wish understand where I mistaked, but I have another quesrtion: my game is 4.09 b1m.
Now I use your files for 4.09 and added my 4.09 sfs files .
open FMB and Manam there is (like in all.ini files) at the top of maps menu, but when I try to download it the time is very long...and after some time I try other maps that downloading in a few time.
Manam no dowloading, only download box stay....I think for too much time and I stop download, also with your manam files.
Can you help me?
thanks.