Best ww2 plane films

Blue Max. Yes its ww1 and u want ww2 but its good. peppard nails it.

Sakai; Is "Go For Broke" about the 442nd? A late friend of mine served with them, as did his brother, who was killed in Italy.

In keeping with the OP, I'd also say Tora, Tora, Tora and the original Battle of Britain as two of the best WW2 aviation-related movies.

Some more good WW2 aviation ones;

12 O'clock High
Reach for the Sky
Dambusters (good special effects for the time period)
The War Lover
633 Squadron (special effects look a bit cheezy but still a good story)
Sink the Bismark (not really an aviation movie but the Swordfish segments are well done all things considered)
Catch-22 (a weird movie but lots of B-25s)
Spitfire/First of the Few (story of the creation of the Spitfire and it's designer)
Piece of Cake (mini-series)
Dark Blue World (an often overlooked but very well done Czech film, in english, on Spitfire pilots, one of the most expensive Czech movies made and well done).

12 O'clock High
Catch-22
Flying Leathernecks
Battle of Britain

Catch-22 being my favorite.

Murph Wrote:Sakai; Is "Go For Broke" about the 442nd? A late friend of mine served with them, as did his brother, who was killed in Italy.

Yes, Go For Broke also featured real life members from the 442 in the film. It's a little dated but still worth watching.

Murphys War with Peter Otoole, all the flying in the Duck was done by Frank Tallman of TallMantz aviation.

_VR_Aristo Wrote:das Boot... it's one of those movies you've just got to see.

Hi, everyone

=XIII=Shea was asking for World War Two aeroplane movies-your favorite. Das Boot is great, but not about planes. :wink:

Topic was moved from General Discussions (about IL-2) to this Open Forum in the Off-Topic Secion.

Have fun with the new website. Smile

Fireskull, Administrator

If you lke Spitfires, don't forget "Dark Blue World", a little jewel...

[Image: dark_blue_world.jpg]

I didn't like Dark-Blue-World; I thought it was yet another cheesy ww2 film which failed epically to introduce a credible love story.
It was a shame as I really wanted to like it. As far as WW2 aviation films go; I think there's a great lack of historically accurate and really good films in this genre.

What a coincidence!

I bought this movie "Dark Blue World" a few weeks ago for a huge "going out of business" discount from a video store that is now closed. The wrapper is still on the thing. My laptop DVD player died a few days ago, but I'll find a way to watch the movie.

"Dark Blue World" is not exactly a Battle of Britain type movie. It's rather a film about the poor fate of non-British ww2 airmen (Czech in this case). There's no glory here. The love story is just a twist for the friendship theme. I think it's an important movie to watch, though as with all Czech films, it's not what you'd typically expect from a film.