[MOD] NEW MIDEAST MAP V1.0

agracier Wrote:There are a number of textures in the load.ini that I just cannot seem to find, no matter where I look, not in any standard folders either:

LowLand2 = land/summer/MTO_Lowland_2_Fields.tga,2

MidLand0 = land/summer/MTO_Desert_0.tga,2
MidLand1 = land/summer/MTO_Desert_1_Fields.tga
MidLand2 = land/summer/MTO_Desert_2.tga,2
MidLand3 = land/summer/dry2_v1_M42.tga

Mount0 = land/summer/MTO_Desert_4_Fields.tga,2
Mount1 = land/summer/mount_top2_M42.tga
Mount2 = land/summer/MTO_Dunes_Fields.tga
Mount3 = land/summer/MTO_Mount_Fields.tga,2

Wouldn't it be more consistent and simpler if all textures used in this map were simply placed in one single texture folder 'land/mideast' instead of counting on them being installed elsewhere?

Does anyone have these textures for upload?
I have them. Here ya go:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20135135/summer.rar
Just put them to _Text/Land/Summer..
kap

Hello everybody,

I've just released version 1.02 of Mideast Map.

You can download the map at http://www.gamefront.com/files/20150195 ... +v1.02.rar

Please read the release notes (introduction, contents and missing features).

Sometime in the future I'll release a "1948 Israel Independence War" campaign based on historical facts.

Any collaboration both on the map and the campaign will be welcomed.

I'd appreciate your feedback,

Thanks,
N

Find below some screenshots:

The map
[Image: MideastMap.jpg]

Tel Aviv
[Image: TelAviv.jpg]

Jerusalem
[Image: Jerusalem.jpg]

Haifa
[Image: Haifa.jpg]
[Image: Haifa2.jpg]

Amman
[Image: Amman.jpg]

Port Said
[Image: PortSaid.jpg]

Acre
[Image: Acre.jpg]

Samakh
[Image: Samakh.jpg]

Jarash
[Image: Jarash.jpg]

Latrun
[Image: Latrun.jpg]

Looks nice!
Perhaps the ground texture for Jerusalem is a bit too bright?

[Image: Jerusalem.jpg]

Very nice thank you Smile

Deutschmark

Thanks everybody,

Please keep me giving your feedback so I can improve the map.

@lowfighter: thanks for your comment. Jerusalem's texture is the real satellite image taken from Google maps but I can make it darker. I'll do it for the next version (still no release date Smile

N

This map is coming along nicely nounette, glad the original has now been made a little more user friendly. 8)

I have to agree with lowfighter about the Jerusalem texture, it is too bright.

Also I prefer this as the background to built up areas.

[Image: Midupdate1.jpg]

This effect is too dark for my liking.

[Image: Midupdate3.jpg]

Here is a texture from the Tunisia map by MrOblongo which I think is what you should aim for.

[Image: Midupdate4.jpg]

It seems to me to be more in keeping with the surrounding landscape, admittedly it is another area but you get the jist of what I'm saying I hope.

The river edges also need a little work as this spoils the whole effect of your map.

[Image: Midupdate2.jpg]

My gripes apart it is still a lovely map.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Hi Mission_bug,

Thanks for your remarks. I'll try to fix that in the next version.

Please keep giving me your feedback.

N

Map looks great what comes to terrain. It remainds Israel/Egypt.
I would like to see more variation of buildings and villages.
There is nice set of Egyptian villages available.
Other than that, it will be a great map!
kap

Hi,

@Mission_bug
I've adapted the big cities and jerusalem textures, tell me what do you think (I put the big city texture at the bottom of the message and a second possibility too so you can test them and see if you can improve them) :

[Image: TelAviv-1.jpg]
[Image: Jerusalem-1.jpg]

Concerning the black river shores, I've found the problem. While you wait the next release you can fix it by your own by changing the Water0 line in your load.ini by this one Water0 = land/mideast/fields_dry.tga)

@Kap
There's already some villages (specially in the south) using Egyptian houses. Here's the example of El Arish
[Image: ElArish.jpg]

I've also tried to see how it works of putting more variety of buildings in Haifa (the example below) but with such a big map and the quantity of cities and towns it is a gigantic work and, as you only see the difference from real close view (so not really in the normal use of the game) it is not a high priority for me by now.
However, if somebody wants to join the project and work on it I'll be more than happy to welcome him on the team.

[Image: Haifa-1.jpg]

The two textures for big cities:
[Image: centercity.jpg]
[Image: centercity3.jpg]

N

So Niiiiiiiiiiiice !!!

Can't wait to see it finished and to fly campaigns over this paradize !!!!

Cheers Ted

Salut le big ted,

v1.02 of the map is already playable and the cities of the 1948 theater are already populated.
The only missing populated cities are in Lebanon where no action occurred and a part of Damascus which only suffered on bombing.
So, if you want to fly you've just to download that version.
The following releases will only be "fine tuning".

I'm already working also on an historical 1948 campaign. If someone wants to begin to test the first missions and give me a feedback I'll be grateful.

@+
N

IF i ever have time, i will most certainly add some objects on this map. But i'm really busy right now..
Map is looking good already!
kap

Got newest version of the map loaded in my Mods/Mapmods folder in a 4.09m install ,added all "ini." lines in the right palces ( i think) ...Map shows up in FMB( looks pretty) BUT cannot save or fly simple missions in same , just to have a look around. Any suggestions? :oops:

Hello Dietz,
Have you installed UP2.01 and the Egypt Objects MOD ?
I've used objects from these packs. If you don't have those packs installed some objects will be missing to the map. You'll be able to see it but not to save missions. Normally when you are in the FMB you can debug the loading of the map with shift+tab and see if there's something missing.
N

Hello nounette, I've tried the lighter of your two textures, centercity3, and re-named it city3 and used it in both your city slots.

Here over Port Said
[Image: Newcitytexturemideast1.jpg]

And Tel Aviv.

[Image: Newcitytexturemideast2.jpg]

To me this is a far better colour than what you used before, is far easier on the eye than the previous one. Blends in better with the cultivated fields on the edge of the built up area

Those houses seem to twinkle though in my set up, makes them difficult to look at.

Judging by your shot of Jerusalem toning it down a little certainly improves the look of it, much easier on the eye.

I've entered the line land/mideast/fields_dry.tga as you instructed but the water problem persists, especially along the rivers off the Dead Sea. This will need to be manually altered in the map builder I think.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin